Western Union money transfer

Have to say I am having issues with an EU site version of WU lately (all of 2021 to date..) keep getting error messages saying to “complete all mandatory fields” on the final screen after submitting the transfer. All fields are complete, no specific field appears erroneous, doesn’t matter if using phone or computer, and their customer service never responds. If I try the same thing like 5 times in row, eventually it works most of the time.

Had something similar happen to me until I disabled Firefox's Enhanced Tracking Protection for the WU site. That and aggressive adblocking can usually break legitimate sites (still 100% worth it to keep it enabled and disable it on a per case basis).

I have been using WU for cash pickup once a month for two years. You need your passport. The address on your western union account needs to be the same as your passport. I have never had a problem. I go to the same office everytime. Pago Facil/ Western Union on Peru near Casa Rosada. They always have enough pesos.
US Passports don't have addresses.

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it back, does anyone know if there is a monthly/yearly limit you can send to someone if you are not married etc?

Instead of sending myself cash to pick up at Western Union I've been transferring cash (only around 150 USD a month) to my girlfriend's account but the last transaction was blocked by the bank.

The bank's don't tell WU the reason for the refusal so I'm wondering if there is some sort of limit?

Cheers.

I have been using WU for cash pickup once a month for two years. You need your passport. The address on your western union account needs to be the same as your passport.

The names have to be exactly the same (including all middle and maiden names).

I have been using WU for cash pickup once a month for two years. You need your passport. The address on your western union account needs to be the same as your passport.
The names have to be exactly the same (including all middle and maiden names).
If the recipiet is not also the sender, he/she can pick up the funds at a Western Union agency or receive the funds in their bank account without having a Western Union account.

I don't thik it{s possible to send money to yourself unless (as the sender) you have a Western Uion account.

In any case, the name on the recipient's ID needs to be exactly the same name the sender used when they sent the funds.

PS: The ID doesn't actually have to be a passport. A DNI will also suffice in Argentina.

Last edited:
If the recipiet is not also the sender, he/she can pick up the funds at a Western Union agency or receive the funds in their bank account without having a Western Union account.

I don't thik it's possible to send money to yourself unless (as the sender) you have a Western Union account.

And if the sender is NOT also the recipient, and is paying for the transfer in cash at a Western Union agency, he/she does not have to have a Western Union account, either. My sister-in-law made several transfers to me from the USA before I started sending money to myself, and she never had a Western Union account.

I don't know of any case in which the recipient is required to have a Western Union account, no matter how they receive the funds and they only need to produce an ID if they are picking up the funds at a Western Union agency.

And if the sender is NOT also the recipient, and is paying for the transfer in cash at a Western Union agency, he/she does not have to have a Western Union account, either.
...and I don't thik the sender needs to have a WU account if he/she is sending the funds using a credit or debit card,

Ok--- I decided to try Western Union. I signed up and all went well. Transfer went well. I just needed to go to a Western Union to pick up the money, as I dont have a bank account. I thought wow --- this is great --why didnt I do this before!

Today, for the third day in a row, I went to the Palermo western union on Thames(?). My spanish is not all that great and I think she keeps telling me she has no money. I ask when and she just lifts her shoulders. Is this common? Am I missing something? Is there a time limit for your money to be hanging out in the air? Now I am worried that the $500 I am expecting is above their available amounts?

Thanks for helping an anxious oldie here.

Ok--- I decided to try Western Union. I signed up and all went well. Transfer went well. I just needed to go to a Western Union to pick up the money, as I dont have a bank account. I thought wow --- this is great --why didnt I do this before!

Today, for the third day in a row, I went to the Palermo western union on Thames(?). My spanish is not all that great and I think she keeps telling me she has no money. I ask when and she just lifts her shoulders. Is this common? Am I missing something? Is there a time limit for your money to be hanging out in the air? Now I am worried that the $500 I am expecting is above their available amounts?

Thanks for helping an anxious oldie here.
Been there, done that. I failed several times to pick up the money in multiple WU places in Recoleta, around Av. Santa Fe, mornings and evenings with the same excuses as you got, In the mornings they have no money because no customers have arrived yet, and in the evenings they have no money because the customers took all the money already. AWA.

I went to WU on Armenia 2109, It's fairly busy and professional. I got the money, and then I didn't use WU anymore. Nobody needs that crap.

Back