Western Union money transfer

If what this "tweeter" said was true, this should have started last Thursday. It did not.

I read the thread that follows the initial tweet, and he was claiming that they are going to start to pay directly in dollars. Some people were asking him for proof, which he did not provide. It's clear from the thread that there are a lot of Argentinos receiving dollars from WU the way that we are. Very interesting.

I copied one interesting tweet from someone who seems to be familiar with this guy:

So maybe nothing is going to change. Anyway, if it does, it does, and we'll all figure out what the best thing will be to do then.

Wasn't his tweet on Friday last week so he meant this week? Would line up with massa taking his super ministry position this week.

Being a newbie to this process. I am surprised that the government does not crack down on the "Cambios" on the street and force people to go to the various other stores that are brick and mortar. Are these stores independent? I have not used the street vendors and use these stores. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. Thank you
Hello, fellow Patriots fan. The dollar blue is illegal no matter where you go. So a government crackdown on arbolitos doesn't really mean anything. I think there have been three or four "raids" on arbolitos and cuevas in the 18 years I've been here. All for show. I don't know if it's true (but it probably is, just by its very nature), but it's believed by just about everyone that all of the cuevas are run by people who have direct connections to people in the government. Imagine a black market where they publish the prices in all the newspapers and sell openly in the street.

When you say stores, I hope you're not referring to the casas de cambio, where they give you the official rate for the dollar. And I hope you're not going there. I presume that you're not, since you're here in the Western Union thread seeing the real price of the dollar.

Be careful who you deal with, and if you find one or two reliable cuevas, stick with them. It's not worth having a problem to get one or two pesos per dollar extra.

Go Pats!

Wasn't his tweet on Friday last week so he meant this week? Would line up with massa taking his super ministry position this week.
Yes, sorry. When I scrolled up my calendar I looked at June 29, not July 29.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens Thursday. Or whenever.

The stores I am referring to have the neon signs that have Euro/Real/USD on them. I have not gone to street vendors rooms so I do not if they would direct me there. I do not believe this is where they would send me. There is one on Santa Fe and 9 Julio that I go to if I do not use Western Union. Who runs stores like that? Seems like getting rid of the street vendors and forcing people to those types of stores would be one way to create a more fixed rate for the Blue. That is of course the money exchange there goes reported.

At the end of the day, all reading this know, deep down, this is Argentina and nothing will change. In a week or so we'll all look back on this and realize it.

The dollar Blue moves only a Small fraction (10% ?) of the dollar volume transacted each day. The rest, the largest volume is transacted in dollar CCL and dollar MEP?

The stores I am referring to have the neon signs that have Euro/Real/USD on them. I have not gone to street vendors rooms so I do not if they would direct me there. I do not believe this is where they would send me. There is one on Santa Fe and 9 Julio that I go to if I do not use Western Union. Who runs stores like that? Seems like getting rid of the street vendors and forcing people to those types of stores would be one way to create a more fixed rate for the Blue. That is of course the money exchange there goes reported.
Those "stores" are the casas de cambio. They are legal. Don't go there, unless you like losing lots of your hard earned money. Didn't you notice that they give you less than half of what Western Union gives you? You really, really don't want to go there. Don't use an ATM with your USA credit or debit card, either.

Nobody is going to get rid of the street vendors. And you don't want them to. If for some reason you can't use Western Union, you want to go to them. Even the very worst of them will give you double what those "stores" are giving you. And you won't have to be bothered with any government paperwork. When you go to them, bring new, crisp 100 dollar bills if you have them. Nobody here wants bills that aren't new and nobody wants less than hundreds, though they'll probably take them for a lower price. And if possible, don't carry too much cash at one time.

Wondering if there is a new code because the previous one isn't working today...? Thanks!

Back