Western Union money transfer

Thanks all - are cuevas open on Saturdays? 😬

We arrive BA late on Friday night, stay 2 nights, and then Sunday very early fly up to Iguazu, and get back to BA on Tuesday night; I'm planning on paying hotels in cash for those first 4 nights, so I need to get a stack of cash on Saturday!
You'll find lots of arbolitos (the people shouting cambio, cambio, in case you didn't know) in calle Florida on Saturday, but you may want to ask the price from five or six of them or more. The price can vary much more on the weekend than during weekdays. It's even worse on Sunday.

Also, try to size them up as you're talking to them. If they seem too shady, walk away and try another. And ask them in the street if they have large bills (mil [1000], hopefully, or at least quinientos[500]), because sometimes you have to walk a little way, and then into the building where the cueva is. I've always found the arbolitos in the blocks close to Avenida de Mayo to be a little more shady than further north on Florida. The last few blocks are a bit sketchy as well.

Thanks all - are cuevas open on Saturdays? 😬

We arrive BA late on Friday night, stay 2 nights, and then Sunday very early fly up to Iguazu, and get back to BA on Tuesday night; I'm planning on paying hotels in cash for those first 4 nights, so I need to get a stack of cash on Saturday!

There is an Exchange Office on Av, Santa Fe 2363? open to the street , they give good Blue Rates, Close to $289 per dollar today, mostly $1000 peso denomination. Open Saturdays until 2 PM.

I stay away from Arbolitos on Florida St., too risky, you can get fake bills , be robbed when you go into the cueva, or be followed when you leave.... Even if you get one extra peso for your greenbacks...!

There is an Exchange Office on Av, Santa Fe 2363? open to the street , they give good Blue Rates, Close to $289 per dollar today, mostly $1000 peso denomination. Open Saturdays until 2 PM.

I stay away from Arbolitos on Florida St., too risky, you can get fake bills , be robbed when you go into the cueva, or be followed when you leave.... Even if you get one extra peso for your greenbacks...!

PD: The exact address is Av, Santa Fe 2349....

This is exactly the information I needed for two first-time visitors who arrive on a Friday night and need to change money on Saturday morning.

The Western Union in Palermo/Villa Crespo at the crossing of Av. Cordoba and Julian Alvarez is the best option for those in Palermo. Do not go to the sucursal on Armenia, as literally everyone goes there and the lines are crazy.

Does anyone have a WU promo code that they won't use or willing to share?
I don't have a promo code, but I did just transfer money to myself without paying a fee. WU is currently offering fee free transfers on your first transfer so I went to the US site and entered a different email address than the one on my regular account. I was able to send $500 and pick up without any problems yesterday. I tried to initiate another transfer immediately after picking the money up (because it was still fee free) and WU asked me to upload my photo ID which I didn't want to do.

I also used all of the same information on my regular account that I use to send money to myself - name, DOB, debit card, etc.

Pretty sure this isn't a great long-term strategy since I'd prefer not to get blocked entirely by WU, but honestly it felt really nice to avoid that $33 fee for cash pickup. And as anyone who has ever interacted with any of the WU customer service people knows, the company obviously employs the dumbest living human beings on the planet. I'm hoping this extends to those doing any kind of security checks.

I haven't decided if I'll do this again next time I need money, but I'll report back if I have continued success with this method.

I don't have a promo code, but I did just transfer money to myself without paying a fee. WU is currently offering fee free transfers on your first transfer so I went to the US site and entered a different email address than the one on my regular account. I was able to send $500 and pick up without any problems yesterday. I tried to initiate another transfer immediately after picking the money up (because it was still fee free) and WU asked me to upload my photo ID which I didn't want to do.

I also used all of the same information on my regular account that I use to send money to myself - name, DOB, debit card, etc.

Pretty sure this isn't a great long-term strategy since I'd prefer not to get blocked entirely by WU, but honestly it felt really nice to avoid that $33 fee for cash pickup. And as anyone who has ever interacted with any of the WU customer service people knows, the company obviously employs the dumbest living human beings on the planet. I'm hoping this extends to those doing any kind of security checks.

I haven't decided if I'll do this again next time I need money, but I'll report back if I have continued success with this method.
My account shows a 0 fee as well but I can't send/receive money using WU (they blocked me. So I need a friend to send, and 1 to pick it up for me. As WU treat every client differently, while my account shows a 0 fee, that of my friend's doesn't. Asked me to may a 104.99 dolar on a 1900 USD transfer. I desperately need a promo code, even a 50% off will help.

Last edited:
Back