Western Union money transfer

Whenever I transfer Western Union it says I can send up to $5,000. In reality, a lot of smaller offices aren't going to be able to give you a fraction of that. If you were going to receive anything close to $5,000 worth of pesos in cash, you'll most likely need to go to a large and busy WU office in a touristy area and probably check with them ahead of time to make sure it's OK.
Thank you can you then exchange the ARS for USD at the Western Union?

Whenever I transfer Western Union it says I can send up to $5,000. In reality, a lot of smaller offices aren't going to be able to give you a fraction of that. If you were going to receive anything close to $5,000 worth of pesos in cash, you'll most likely need to go to a large and busy WU office in a touristy area and probably check with them ahead of time to make sure it's OK.
And bring a duffle bag.

Thank you can you then exchange the ARS for USD at the Western Union?

I'm confused...so you need ARS or USD? I'm not sure why it would make sense to send a USD to ARS transfer to Argentina via Western Union, pick up the pesos at a local WU office, sell the pesos back to WU to receive physical USD, and then exchange the USD back to pesos again at a later date? Seems like a lot of work.

If you need lots of USD, you're probably better off finding a local cueva that can accept incoming USD transfers (from Paypal, Wise, ACH/Swift, Zelle, etc.), or going to Colonia and just getting dollars straight from the ATM. Cuevas are likely to charge 5 to 7% commission (or more) for incoming USD transfers, so if you're talking a large amount of money (i.e. $5,000) than if it were me I'd make a day trip to Colonia. Assuming you have a debit card that reimburses or doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, going to Colonia would just cost you the price of a ferry ticket, whereas getting $5,000 USD via a cueva could potentially cost you $250 to $350 or more in fees.

Last edited:
1108.50 !!!
I'm not an economist but my background gives me room to pause, think, observe and act on why the peso/US dollar are not at polar opposite ends of the financial world. Even friends here, a few in well-placed financial areas, say the overt manipulation of the peso is providing some speculators with huge profits while leaving others, like us, wondering what's going on. Basically, without doing a full length essay on why, I have been assured (for whatever that is worth), the dollar win win out, big time, over the peso. It's just a matter of when. Like taking a lid off a pressure cooker. I'm fortunate enough that life has been good to me so drops don't make me nervous and while I like to see the WU rate rise every day as well as the blue rate, I can wait it out. It will rise. The drops these past days make no sense. Again, just personal opinions on my part.

Anyone have success with WU today? Just went to my normal location at Peru/Alsina and they informed me that their computer systems are down. I asked if it was possible to go elsewhere and the clerk said that (to her knowledge) it's affecting other locations as well.

Anyone have success with WU today? Just went to my normal location at Peru/Alsina and they informed me that their computer systems are down. I asked if it was possible to go elsewhere and the clerk said that (to her knowledge) it's affecting other locations as well.
Seen the same feedback on a whatsapp group. Not ideal but waiting until tomorrow (especially given time of day now) seems like your only option

I'm not an economist but my background gives me room to pause, think, observe and act on why the peso/US dollar are not at polar opposite ends of the financial world. Even friends here, a few in well-placed financial areas, say the overt manipulation of the peso is providing some speculators with huge profits while leaving others, like us, wondering what's going on. Basically, without doing a full length essay on why, I have been assured (for whatever that is worth), the dollar win win out, big time, over the peso. It's just a matter of when. Like taking a lid off a pressure cooker. I'm fortunate enough that life has been good to me so drops don't make me nervous and while I like to see the WU rate rise every day as well as the blue rate, I can wait it out. It will rise. The drops these past days make no sense. Again, just personal opinions on my part.
Nonsense. If some major future events were to be anticipated....they would already be priced in the market. So prices today reflect the future fantasy. The number one law of economics......It is what it is.

Back