Western Union transfers

Shpongle

Registered
Using WU as a tourist: Is there a limit on the amount of money I can bring in? Is it $10000 per visit? Will Western Union (Argentina) themselves limit me in any way?

Is there likely to be any future issue once I become formally resident in Argentina, if I bring in cash multiple times this way, while making trips as a tourist? Tax / AFIP?

P.S. This will be to buy a vehicle and some land.

Last edited:
Using WU to exchange cash dollars for pesos? I don't think so, pretty much it's limited to how much cash $100 USD bills you can stuff in your pockets on the way to Argentina keeping in mind the limits for declaration. Using WU to transfer money from the US to Argentina for pickup there are limits, larger transfers they'll likely do some enhanced KYC/source of funds and so forth so keep that in mind

I have residence status in Paraguay, but I cannot get a USD account there for the time being. I can drag cash across the border repeatedly, but it means converting USD->PYG(implicit when using Wise to get funds to PY)->ARS which needless to say will be costly. Or if the buyer will accept, USD->PYG->USD, still a mess.

Hence using WU within Argentina might actually be better than that arrangement!

Residency in Paraguay? Interesting. I'd invite you to the weekly Tuesday coffee chat if you're in BA, I think there's some useful discussion to be had about how things work here, I'd be interested in how your process in Paraguay went

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing issues with setting up Western Union transfers. Regardless of using a VPN with a US address or not, I consistently receive the error:

"We're sorry, we couldn't complete your transfer at this moment. Please contact our Customer Care using Reference Code C1974."

I've tried:

- Debit card
- Google Pay

The issue persists.

*Context:* Western Union's current rate (1258) is higher than the blue (1235), making it a preferable option.

*Temporary Success:* On Saturday night, I miraculously managed to set up a transfer, which I picked up this morning. However, subsequent attempts to exploit the "free first-time rate" by setting up multiple transfers (as suggested in reviews) have failed.

*Seeking Assistance:* Has anyone encountered this error (C1974)? Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing issues with setting up Western Union transfers. Regardless of using a VPN with a US address or not, I consistently receive the error:

"We're sorry, we couldn't complete your transfer at this moment. Please contact our Customer Care using Reference Code C1974."

I've tried:

- Debit card
- Google Pay

The issue persists.

*Context:* Western Union's current rate (1258) is higher than the blue (1235), making it a preferable option.

*Temporary Success:* On Saturday night, I miraculously managed to set up a transfer, which I picked up this morning. However, subsequent attempts to exploit the "free first-time rate" by setting up multiple transfers (as suggested in reviews) have failed.

*Seeking Assistance:* Has anyone encountered this error (C1974)? Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

It means they rejected the transfer for some type of risk. I just got off the phone with Western Union earlier today with the same error. Some combination of how much money you're sending, who you're sending it to and some other factors cause it to be rejected. For me I changed the receiver and then the transaction was accepted.

It means they rejected the transfer for some type of risk. I just got off the phone with Western Union earlier today with the same error. Some combination of how much money you're sending, who you're sending it to and some other factors cause it to be rejected. For me I changed the receiver and then the transaction was accepted.
thanks for responding.

Are you suggesting to send smaller amounts? I was only doing $300/$400 USD?

I was always sending to myself. I was the receiver & sender. Should I get a family member from America send me money?
I receive the same problem error when I send to my wife with her maiden name.......

FYI the blue rate now is higher than western union. #argentinalife;)🤣🤣🤣🤣. But good to know for the future.

Back