What are Christmas Day & New Year's Day like here in BA? What's open and closed?

hepdoll

Registered
Quick question that none of my porteno friends seem to be able to answer because they always leave town to visit their families on the holidays: for those of us staying in Capital Federal, what will be open on Christmas Eve / Day and New Year's Eve / Day? Groceries? Movie Theaters? For example, where I've lived in the US, grocery stores are usually closed all day Christmas Day, but the movie theaters are open.

Muchas gracias y felices fiestas a todos! :)

haha, I'm in the same position this year -- we've always spent Christmas Day with our porteno family, but this year it's only 3 of us for the 25th, so wondering the same myself for restaurants at mid-day.

The 24th from noon on it gets hard to find anything open. 25th more things are open but not everything. 31st after midnight (ie the 1st) all the clubs open up. 31st a lot of restaurants are open, Rodizio is supposed to do a good party and set meal, friends of ours go every year, do book in advance, expect to pay a few hundred pesos a head.

The 24th at night as far as I understand it is more difficult to find a restaurant. Kansas supposedly has had Christmas dinners in the past, I'm going there in a moment for a drink so if I find anything out I'll let you know.

The movie theatres aren't usually open, but it might be worth a call still, maybe the one at Abasto shopping might be open? Doubtful though as last year the malls were all closed.

New Years eve after midnight all the clubs etc open up.

To be frank, with such a large Jewish population in town I had expected that all the Chinese restaurants and the movie theatres would be open! Lol, maybe that's just a North American thing?

Don't you know how to stay home and entertain yourselves?

It's just one day, for Christ's sake (if you'll pardon the expression).

Thanks, syngirl. You've been very helpful. I totally hear you about the movie theaters and Chinese restaurants! I didn't want to assume that the same would be true here and after seeing your response, I'm glad that I asked. I will make sure to have all my grocery shopping done so that I'm not stuck needing food with nothing open!

steveinbsas, I didn't solicit opinions on how I'm spending my holidays. If you can give insight into how the city operates on those days, I would welcome that.

And if anyone else can jump in to help describe what is and isn't available on those days (busses? taxis?), I'd appreciate your input! Thanks! :)

buses have a schedule similar to Sundays, cabs are scarce on the 24th late afternoon and 25th until after 4-5 pm. Movie theaters are open on Jan 1st in the afternoon. You will find some kioskos open on the 24th and 31st after 12 am, as some sell fireworks, and alcohol. The main celebrations are dinner on both the 24th and 31 st and lunch on both 25th and 1st so basically some bars, and probably the Chinese supermarkets wil be open after 5-6 pm on the 25th and 1st. Bakery stores are open on the 25th and 1st before midday. The streets are more hectic than usual, with many drivers not so sober, so be careful. I prefer to stay home these days until late in the afternoon. some restaurants will be open on the 24th and 31st but they all require reservations in advance.

Also, everything is closed by early-mid day on December 24th.

There are practically no cabs after midnight on December 24th/25th (Christmas Eve).

Most things are closed Christmas day. I went to Sugar at about 7pm for turkey (that's when they had a kitchen) and proceeded to drink Gin & Tonics with an assload of Brits for the next 7 hours.

New Year's Eve, I didn't have ganas para hacer nada. Then the town was a ghost town until Midday on New Year's Day.

This year I will be in the 'burbs (Jesus' birthday observed & winter solstice holidays that were folded into it) and then Uruguay (for winter solstice 2, the sequel one week later). :p

PS- It doesn't take long looking at a calendar to realize that the southern hemisphere really wasn't consulted on the selection of major holidays.

These are great tips. Thanks, everyone. :)

I had no idea about the fireworks! That's so exciting! I'm looking forward to that. Any place or neighborhood that's particularly good to go for that? Or do people just go out into the streets and I could see it in any neighborhood, if I wander around?

Happy Holidays! :)

I wasn't in BA last Christmas but was the year before. We had lunch at about 2pm on Plaza Armenia in Palermo where we had a choice of places to go to. Not everywhere is open, but from my experience in Palermo if you want to eat out and don't set your heart on a particular place it won't be a problem. I'm used to huge family gatherings on Christmas day so staying in with just the two of us on Christmas day would have broken my heart and had me on the first flight back home so I was very glad to be able to go out, enjoy the sunshine and all the families in the plaza and not feel too homesick.

hepdoll said:
These are great tips. Thanks, everyone. :)

I had no idea about the fireworks! That's so exciting! I'm looking forward to that. Any place or neighborhood that's particularly good to go for that? Or do people just go out into the streets and I could see it in any neighborhood, if I wander around?

Happy Holidays! :)

Fireworks are all over the city, so u will see them wherever u are, although the poorer the neighborhood, the more fireworks they light

Back