What are Christmas Day & New Year's Day like here in BA? What's open and closed?

GreenLeaf said:
I'm used to huge family gatherings on Christmas day so staying in with just the two of us on Christmas day would have broken my heart and had me on the first flight back home so I was very glad to be able to go out, enjoy the sunshine and all the families in the plaza and not feel too homesick.

Yeah here we've always passed it with the entire family, but now with the in-laws divorce, the brother in Spain, the sister in Cordoba, and my husband barely on speaking terms with his Dad, I really can't face the idea of the 3 of us sitting in our apartment in practical silence for most of the day -- so I'm hoping at least to get us to a decent restaurant so that if we're not talking, at least someone else is!

I was trying to find what time the shopping centers will be open til but the hours are not listed on the sites. They do say you can visit Santa til 5pm at Alto Palermo and 4pm at Abasto on the 24. Normally I would then assume the whole place would be open til at least then... here I've learned not to assume anything! :)

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I really appreciate it. It's been nice to hear how some of you have spent past Christmases here, too. Felices fiestas!

The racetrack in San Isidro is open on the 25th and they have a very nice restaurant in the clubhouse. Wagering is not mandatory. Might be a fun time with a group. Call for menu items and hours of op.
In the spirit of Las vegas--"We never close"--EL Establo parilla has been open on all holidays in recent years, corner San Martin/Paraguay. Sheraton and Marriott guests who venture out usually end up here as it is about the only place open aside from the hotels in Centro.

Argentines celebrate on Christmas Eve (fireworks) and with family. Christmas Day is DEAD, no stores, no taxis, no restaurants (almost none anyway). I recall going to the movies, but we had a car... on Christmas Day.

Same goes for New Year´s.

My family actually plans around the concept of no taxis on those 2 days.

Basically, plan to be at your destination (home or elsewhere) by midnight on the "eves" or you will get stuck.

The city is DEAD on Christmas day. You will start seeing less and less traffic from today on as people head to their destinations now.

Does anyone know where the best places to see good fireworks on the 24th and 31st are? I'd love to see a good fireworks show.

twin said:
The racetrack in San Isidro is open on the 25th and they have a very nice restaurant in the clubhouse. Wagering is not mandatory. Might be a fun time with a group. Call for menu items and hours of op.
In the spirit of Las vegas--"We never close"--EL Establo parilla has been open on all holidays in recent years, corner San Martin/Paraguay. Sheraton and Marriott guests who venture out usually end up here as it is about the only place open aside from the hotels in Centro.

That sounds like a great idea actually. I spend Christmas eve with the girlfriend's family, but I seem to remember Xmas day always being boring. I might see if I can round up some people to come to the track with me!

nikad said:
Fireworks are all over the city, so u will see them wherever u are, although the poorer the neighborhood, the more fireworks they light

very, very true, as far as we can tell from our view. :)

Are there collectivos? Or trains? I'm supposed to go to San Isidro and a friend is going to the airport that day.

since the night of the 25th is a party night i imagine that there is a way to get around

Back