What are my visa options?

What about paying a senior official to help you obtain a long-term visa? I know it's not very ethical but under the circumstances, it may be worthwhile.

Paulk said:
What about paying a senior official to help you obtain a long-term visa? I know it's not very ethical but under the circumstances, it may be worthwhile.

Because that's way too shady. I don't have any desire to get into the Country through a "back-door" - If they don't let me in, I wont come in.

That said, I'm sure there are still options (other than accepting the live of a tourist, which isn't nearly as appealing as a resident)

My wife is Argentine so my residency was relatively easy, ARCA did a good job shielding me from the long lines, bribes, etc. I recommend Lorena to anyone who asks.

If you were single then I'd say go for it, but you have a family to support therefore I share concerns similar to those expressed by others here. I've been living here for a year, before that I had spent about 8 months down here over 15 visits, I knew what I was getting into. Its been a good choice for us, but its still plenty stressful dealing with dishonest repairmen, trying to get a warranty honored, or interacting with government agencies. Even if you met all the requirements for residency you still need enough savings to move here, buy furniture and other household stuff, live for 3-6 months, and return to the US. That's $20,000 or more for someone who doesn't know how to find a safe home in the cheaper neighborhoods or the best deals for furnishings. You'll be stuck renting a month-to-month apartment at tourist rates if you can't put up 6 or 12 months rent at the beginning. You're not going to get anything other than a tourist visa unless you find out how to bribe the right people, and that sort of bribing tends to be very expensive.

If you are sure that you want to do this, do your family a favor, spend 3 weeks vacationing down here first.

Validitorian, with your last post you've revealed that you really can't learn it all on the internet.

Only by living here, or visiting for a long long time, will you truly understand that "back-door" is the way it all happens here. So much of life here is back door, grease this hand, grease that one etc etc. I know so many people (Argentines and Expats) who have been on both sides, have paid all the bribes necessary to get their house built, their business set up, their visa pushed through, their name bumped to the top of whatever list necessary. I also know the ones that have been ripped off by business partners (one for US$10k, another for US$35k), the ones that have had their houses broken into and held hostage for 2 hours while the thieves ransacked their home and filled up the car (an Argentine family living on Costa Rica near Scalabrini -- the thieves entered the house by holding a gun to the Coto delivery man's head), I also know a guy who only found out when he went to sell his PH that he couldn't do it because the piece of land it was sitting on was titled to a dead woman last known to be in Tokyo in 1990 -- did he sit through years and years of legal proceedings and spend thousands trying to find out whether there were any relatives that may make a claim? No, he paid the bribe and sold his house with false papers. Leave it to whoever bought it to discover that little gem when they try to sell.

I know many many many an Argentine that has paid to make their problems of all types go away. If you really want to live here and have no way to do it with visas, do it the Argentine way -- illegally. If you can't live with yourself by doing that, then Argentina is no place for the faint-hearted and maybe home will be more appealing.

You still haven't answered though -- how does your wife have a visa??

Validitorian said:
Thanks for your concern, Fishface.

I'd still like to hear how others moved to Argentina while retaining their U.S. Job.

If they did (legally, with a visa), they probably work for companies who are registered to do business in Argentina. Having a fantasy is great, and that's all you have at the moment. You cannot possibly know the reality of living here by what you have observed on the net, regardless of the size of your screen.

Come for a visit...perhaps for as long as six months. You can get a furnished temporary apartment for one to six months. Then you will be in a position to make a much more "informed" decision...and stay or flee as desired.

kurtdillard said:
My wife is Argentine so my residency was relatively easy, ARCA did a good job shielding me from the long lines, bribes, etc. I recommend Lorena to anyone who asks.

If you were single then I'd say go for it... You're not going to get anything other than a tourist visa unless you find out how to bribe the right people, and that sort of bribing tends to be very expensive.

How much money would it cost to bribe a senior official to help one obtain a longterm visa?

syngirl said:
Validitorian, with your last post you've revealed that you really can't learn it all on the internet.

Only by living here, or visiting for a long long time, will you truly understand that "back-door" is the way it all happens here. So much of life here is back door, grease this hand, grease that one etc etc. I know so many people (Argentines and Expats) who have been on both sides, have paid all the bribes necessary to get their house built, their business set up, their visa pushed through, their name bumped to the top of whatever list necessary. I also know the ones that have been ripped off by business partners (one for US$10k, another for US$35k), the ones that have had their houses broken into and held hostage for 2 hours while the thieves ransacked their home and filled up the car (an Argentine family living on Costa Rica near Scalabrini -- the thieves entered the house by holding a gun to the Coto delivery man's head), I also know a guy who only found out when he went to sell his PH that he couldn't do it because the piece of land it was sitting on was titled to a dead woman last known to be in Tokyo in 1990 -- did he sit through years and years of legal proceedings and spend thousands trying to find out whether there were any relatives that may make a claim? No, he paid the bribe and sold his house with false papers. Leave it to whoever bought it to discover that little gem when they try to sell.

I know many many many an Argentine that has paid to make their problems of all types go away. If you really want to live here and have no way to do it with visas, do it the Argentine way -- illegally. If you can't live with yourself by doing that, then Argentina is no place for the faint-hearted and maybe home will be more appealing.

You still haven't answered though -- how does your wife have a visa??

This will be the last response on the subject from me. We have gotten very far off-topic. I didn't ask if I should be moving to Argentina, I asked how.

In response to you, syngirl:
"with your last post you've revealed that you really can't learn it all on the internet"

You just proved yourself wrong, as you explained, over the internet, how it works in Argentina. I already knew that, of course -- it's not exactly a secret. However, there is still something to be said for morals, and GOOD judgment. Again, if I was a bachelor, that might be tempting for me, but with a family, I'm not going to needlessly risk legal problems for something that can be solved in a more official manner. The earliest we would be moving is in 6 months, so I'm not in a big hurry, and there's plenty of time for whatever paperwork needs to be processed.

People are murdered every day just about anywhere you go, so hearing about people being kidnapped/held hostage/etc really has no consequence. I could get mugged on my daily jog around my house.

FYI, my wife does not have a visa at this point, that's something I am researching as well.

Let's try to keep this on topic. I appreciate everyone's concerns that some people end up deciding that they don't like Argentina after they get there, and that's a chance I'm willing to take. I am financially stable, even with the falling economy, and nothing short of an entire collapse would hinder that (at which point, I would be no better off living in the USA than Argentina)

This may help clear the air: I'm currently just looking into OPTIONS. I'm not signing my life away here, I'm looking into what all the possibilities are, and then I will decide on the right coarse of action. If I decide that it's too costly to "test" Argentina when I apply for residency, I'll just come in as a tourist and scope out the area. Chances are if we don't like it, we'll just move on to Brazil (which I did like) or perhaps China or Japan - I have complete freedom of mobility, so long as I have an internet connection and a computer, so the worst case scenario is that we just move. Not that bad.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's concerns, and if you really feel compelled to impress even further that you disagree with my decision, please do so via private messages. Thanks.

Validitorian said:
This will be the last response on the subject from me. We have gotten very far off-topic. I didn't ask if I should be moving to Argentina, I asked how.

This may help clear the air: I'm currently just looking into OPTIONS. I'm not signing my life away here, I'm looking into what all the possibilities are, and then I will decide on the right coarse of action. If I decide that it's too costly to "test" Argentina when I apply for residency, I'll just come in as a tourist and scope out the area.

The forum members who live here (as well as those who have spent some time here) were just trying to help you, even though some of us went a bit beyond the "scope" of your original question. Usually, those who inquire about residency visas have a desire to live here and have already visited at least once.

Based on the information you have provided, applying for residency probably isn't an option, even after you do arrive. The best way to get a residency visa is to qualify for it. It's that simple. I don't buy into that bribery stuff, either.

I usually don't speak for others, but I'm sure all who posted hope you have a safe and pleasant visit and find whatever it is that you are looking for. If you learned anything from syngirl, I hope it's that without knowing how things work here, your course of action might be quite coarse indeed.

hi
You could live here as a tourist forever. Its not ideal, but it would involve a trip to migraciones twice a year to extend your visa, and a trip over a border twice a year to renew your visa. Its a bit of a hassle, but not too expensive and you could easily budget the cost. Besides, twice a year is a holiday or a weekend away. No biggie.

A friend recently set up a company here. its all legit and she has the necessary CUIT codes and registered addresses etc to operate here, and can work here without worries. I got residency and my DNI arranged through work, perhaps you could find a sympathetic sponsor/employer? If you could come to some "arrangement" I'm sure you could find an employer, and that would make residency a lot easier

Fast track isn't that unethical - its fast track. A DNI can take up to a year if you go through normal channels. 600pesos knocks that down to 45 days, the 1200 turns it around in 10. Fine line between bribe and fastrack, honestly don't know which it is but it doesn't seem unreasonable or immoral to pay it. Its all above board at any rate.

I'll find out what options my friend is taking and send you a note. Either way, I'd get in touch with one of people recommended in this thread if you're serious. You can only glean so much from the internet, before you need someone's expert opinion who knows exactly how the channels operate, and they often have a hand in keeping said channels open. Just the way things seem to work out here.

But worst comes to the worst, coming in on a tourist visa, and renewing it periodically isn't that expensive or that much of a bugbear, especially if you're earning USD whilst you're living here.

Best of luck!

steveinbsas said:
The forum members who live here (or at least have spent some time here) were just trying to help you, even though some of us went a bit beyond the "scope" of your original question. Usually, those who inquire about residency visas have a desire to live here and have already visited at least once.

Based on the information you have provided, your visa options are basically none, so applying for residency probably isn't an option, even after you do arrive. (I don't "buy into" that bribery stuff, either.)

I usually don't speak for others, but I'm sure all who posted l hope you have a safe and pleasant visit and find whatever it is that you are looking for. If you learned anything from syngirl, I hope it's that without knowing how things work here, your course of action might be quite coarse indeed.

I completely understand that, and I am grateful :)

As far as my visa situation - I'm still hopeful that I find come across or otherwise invent an idea that will allow me to generate the required revenue needed for the passport.

Question: If we are generating say, $1000/month - is that per person? And can it be shared between spouses (so my wife and son can get their visa based off of the $1000 from investments/etc)

Back