What are you biggest complaints about living in Argentina?

Fiscal

Registered
Would like to know in advance what I'm getting into for the 3-4 month period I will be there for my trial run.

f60db82acb9510030d2cf396c5bfa087_its-fine-the-anthem-of-meme-everything-is-fine-fire_1280-720.jpeg

I've read this forum a lot and I'll say that while I haven't actually lived in Arg, I have been there a number of times and was married to one so I'll give my .02.

Argentina isn't that bad. To give you perspective, on my trips we stay in middle class Palermo. I have never been overcharged by an Argentine cab driver. I don't get hard stares in the streets. I have never been overcharged by an Argentine shop owner. I have never personally met someone who's been violently robbed/drugged/poisoned/raped/etc. I have never heard gun/grenade/rpg/etc fire. I have no Argentine friends/family that are current/former/aspiring members of subversive groups that violently challenge the police/military/etc. From what I know of Argentine culture, while Argentines can get heated, personal disputes are not resolved by the use of force, death threats, local mafia, etc. All in all, while not perfect, Argentina is a civilized country, if you think otherwise go hang out in your other options in the region like Mexico/Ecuador/Colombia/DR/etc's equivalent of middle class Palermo for a few months and tell me how many of those questions you can still say no to.

My biggest complaint is when I have to go back to El Norte and make more money. And that, when I am in the USA, there is no Mate, Fugazetta, or Choripan.

There are good and bad things here. To understand the bad things, you have to understand what it means to be "vivo". Too many people here, but certainly not all of them see this life style as an ideal.

Some anecdotes:

Whatever you lose out of sight for a moment has a high chance of disappearing, even if it is not valuable. I have had my old walking shoes (that I would not wear at home anymore, only here) stolen while I was dancing. They have stolen my shoe bag with nothing in it (probably assuming it might have contained something) and my glasses of more than 10 years old. I once met a tourist who put his laptop under his seat and once he wanted to take it back... it was gone. As a general rule, do not carry valuables with you when you go out, keep your money in your pocket and only as much as you need.

When I lived here with my ex-girlfriend, the Internet from Telecentro stopped working. After 2 weeks with repeated calls from our side, they still did not care to come and fix it, though they happily kept sending us the bill to pay. Here you get customer service when you buy something, after that you should not expect it anymore. We switched to Fibertel and the guy who fixed the cable asked the phone number of my ex-girlfriend (behind my back) and started texting her to date with her.

If there is a garbage can at 5 meters from you, why should you make the effort to walk there and not just throw your garbage on the ground? Crosswalks here mean give way to cars... You may enjoy listening to the dogs from the neighbourhood barking any time of the day.

If you can live with the kind of negligence I am describing, Buenos Aires will be great :)

Here you get customer service when you buy something, after that you should not expect it anymore. We switched to Fibertel and the guy who fixed the cable asked the phone number of my ex-girlfriend (behind my back) and started text ing her to date with her.

Did you dump her because she gave the guy her number, is that why she's now your ex?

Back