What Are You Guys Doing To Watch Cable Television

Ceviche

Registered
Hi,

I am in a dilemma about cable television.

Is it worth installing direcTV or the cable channels via Fibrtel are good enough?

ARe you guys using things like apple tv etc?

I want to watch all US channels ( ABC, Fox etc) where all these fantastic TV serials are played in real time.

How to go about it? ANy suggestions?

I have DirecTV. It's good, but when it rains you can be without signal for a while, depending on how heavy the rain and how long. Sometimes even high winds will cause problems. I inherited another expat's account (he went back to States urgently and I took over a lot of his stuff some nearly 6 years ago) and at the time DirecTV's offerings were better than cable. They also had DVRs, which cable didn't at the time, as far as I remember.

Now, I'd think seriously about cable. They have good offerings now and also have DVR (at least CableVision does).

HOWEVER, a word about the DVRs - the accounts may come with them, but a buddy of mine about 4 months ago switched from DTV to CV and ordered HD with DVR. They have the HD converter, but not the DVR. I understand DTV is in the same boat. Our DVR acts screwy and we can't get it replaced. All due to the import restrictions. My buddy still hasn't seen a DVR.

As far as watching US cable channels, I can't help you there. I have a few series that I follow by other means when necessary but haven't done anything about streaming US channels or something like that. I have another buddy, though, who uses SlingBox and loves it, though it has its obvious disadvantages for most people living here.

HOWEVER, a word about the DVRs - the accounts may come with them, but a buddy of mine about 4 months ago switched from DTV to CV and ordered HD with DVR. They have the HD converter, but not the DVR. I understand DTV is in the same boat. Our DVR acts screwy and we can't get it replaced. All due to the import restrictions. My buddy still hasn't seen a DVR.

thanks

I get TV series from the interwebs.
Watching instant TV is only available through IP streaming. AFAIK.
LogdeC showed me his Hulu/Netflix/Amazon accounts recognized by his console account but they got instantly neutered, likely because of the IP origin .

Click this link to sign up for free account to watch US broadcast stations live. And you can pay monthly for access to cable channels. DVR system works great.

I have Fibertel/Cablevision with expanded plan including HD and HBO. I'm watching the election coverage on Fox & CNN this morning and watch the news every morning. I was able to see my SF Giants win the World Series on ESPN HD VIVO from my bedroom (late game) and can often catch my SF 49ers on too, so also thoroughly satisfied (usually) on the sports front (for a girl). ;) Most of the US TV shows are a few weeks behind if aired here, so I don't feel that disconnected and if I am dying to see something I'll find it online. The only thing I find SO annoying is that I pay for HD yet the times the HD TV series are on are often different with HD being on at like 11-12, while regular channels will air the new series by 9-10PM. So often I just watch the early and skip out on the better picture in exchange for more sleep.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. I have 6mps cable + expanded cable for like $370/mo.

I had no end of billing problems with directv,there is no customer service...where is there here?they demand payment and say will sort out
wrong billing amounts but they don't care and it doesn't happen.They will threaten you with legal action to.I believe it is the same sort of
crap in usa,they have had numerous legal actions against them but no change to their couldn't give a s hit policy.My experience only.

I get TV series from the interwebs.
Watching instant TV is only available through IP streaming. AFAIK.
LogdeC showed me his Hulu/Netflix/Amazon accounts recognized by his console account but they got instantly neutered, likely because of the IP origin .

Use a proxy server like FoxyProxy. Costs about $8US per month. Your IP shows up like New York, or Texas. No problem.

I had no end of billing problems with directv,there is no customer service...where is there here?they demand payment and say will sort out
wrong billing amounts but they don't care and it doesn't happen.They will threaten you with legal action to.I believe it is the same sort of
crap in usa,they have had numerous legal actions against them but no change to their couldn't give a s hit policy.My experience only.

Yeah, it took me almost six months to get the "credit card rejected payment" or "pay or we're going to cut your service off" after I changed from my US debit card to a local bank for payment, and my US debit card expired. I was getting double charge until the card expired, and then the messages started, even though the money was being debited properly from my local account.

I should have mentioned that as well, when I was talking about DirecTV previously. Crappy customer service. Guess I've just gotten used to it...

Ceviche,

Why are you living in Argentina if you still want to have an American lifestyle with American television? If television programs are a priority in your life, you should consider moving back.

I'm been watching television since 1954. I made the decision in May 2011 to cancel Cablevision and use the money for necessities. I've not regretted it for one moment. I gave the television and table to my neighbors. I haven't missed television one bit, much to my surprise. Yes, I wanted see the election returns last night, but I can go to cnn.com and watch videos today. I haven't read or listened to the news for six years. If I need to know something, I'll hear about it. I live a quiet life listening to classic music on the radio and reading.

Many expect Argentina to keep up with all the technology available in the USA, but don't hold your breath. There was very little internet here in 1999 and limited cable service. Let's not forget this is a third world country with high illiteracy and poverty.

Back