What Are Your Favorite Museums In Buenos Aires?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I was on my routine skate through Parque Palermo when I happened to notice the Eduardo Sívori Museum on the Rosedal. I've been past that spot at least a couple of thousand times but never really took notice. Got me thinking what other museums I've missed.

What are some of your favorites?

GS

PS - If there is enough interest perhaps we get a once-per-month expat museum visit together?

I rarely make it down to La Boca but when I do it's to visit PROA. I would definitely join a monthly museum group!

I can list several museums, but one I went to last year was the Museum of Decorative Arts in an upscale section of BA. Nice small restaurant (kitchen seems to be in basement). This museum was partially closed for years, now it's all open and really large. You will spend time viewing it. Within walking distance are 2 others you can hit on foot. Not great ones. The one I call the gaucho museum (can find exact name for you) is on same street. Also in the Arg. version of AAA is a car museum (free) so why not pop in?

Another one is Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Isaac Fernandez Blanco near the Catholic church that has service in English. Small but well worth it. Also has concerts.

Haven't been to Xul Solar in years. It was his house (gutted and made for the museum). and has only his works.

Obviously the MALBA, but the Evita museum near our apartment is revealing for what it does not include - no suggestion whatsoever that she was even a controversial figure.

Obviously the MALBA, but the Evita museum near our apartment is revealing for what it does not include - no suggestion whatsoever that she was even a controversial figure.

There is a decent restaurant in the Evita museum I think? Had a reasonable dinner in the courtyard without touching the museum last summer.

There is a decent restaurant in the Evita museum I think? Had a reasonable dinner in the courtyard without touching the museum last summer.

The restaurant's very good and, at midday, it's pretty cheap. Evita had expropriated the house for unwed mothers, which outraged the neighbors at the time.

My favourite is the Armaments Museum (Museo de Armas) on the Circulo Militar, Plaza San Martin.

It's 20 pesos to enter and even if your not into weaponry it is definitely interesting.

I highly recommend both Museo Sivori and Fundacion Proa. Proa also has a restaurant I like (but beware of the Riachuelo smell if you sit outside!).. The Sivori restaurant is an attractive and obviously very popular venue (in the middle of the Palermo parks!!) but i have never eaten there. The Evita museum has a nice restaurant but the museum itself is a ridiculous propaganda piece.

The Museo de Arte Decorativo, or Palacio Errázuriz, as someone mentioned.

Back