What Classic Car To Get?

G

germano

So a few months ago I got a small economic car - which I am really happy with and fulfills 99% of my car needs. But I was always thinking about getting a second car: A classic car just for fun. For cruising etc...

What car would you get and why?

Some cars that came to my mind:

'US' type models:

- Ford Falcon (62ish) - pros: lots of parts available, big sixties car / cons: not very unique here
200px-1960-Ford-Falcon-4dr-Sed.jpg

- IKA/Renault Torino Coupe (~ Rambler): pros: more unique than falcon etc.
250px-IKA_Torino_380_coup%C3%A9.jpg

- Chevrolet Chevy SS (~ Nova): pros: real muscle car feeling / cons: availability of parts,
250px-1972_Chevrolet_Nova.jpg

European type models:

- Citroën Méhari: pros: convertible, not a gas guzzler / cons: reliability
280px-Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari_offen.jpg

- VW Escarabajo (Beetle): pros: very reliable, always wanted one of those / cons: no heat in winter, availability of parts
250px-Fusca_estacionado.jpg

What do you think of those cars? What other models (available here in Argentina) could be interesting?

I spent 15 years restoring muscle cars and building some of the fastest cars on this planet. ( 300 mph Funny cars, open road race cars, supercharged Camaro's, Ferrari's, Porsche).

Looking at that old crap and the amount of work/money invested in it I say.

Dump all that old junk in a car crusher and get yourself a new car that is reliable.

Maybe I am burnt out after all these years, just my 2 cents.

Cars in and of themselves are boring, but Argentines seem to love the Peugeot 404 which, I believe, was built in Córdoba.

I spent 15 years restoring muscle cars and building some of the fastest cars on this planet. ( 300 mph Funny cars, open road race cars, supercharged Camaro's, Ferrari's, Porsche).

Looking at that old crap and the amount of work/money invested in it I say.

Dump all that old junk in a car crusher and get yourself a new car that is reliable.

Maybe I am burnt out after all these years, just my 2 cents.
As I have written above - I already have a new car that is reliable.

Cars in and of themselves are boring, but Argentines seem to love the Peugeot 404 which, I believe, was built in Córdoba.

It is a pretty car. Probably lots of parts available here. Not sure about reliability.

i008042.jpg

I would buy The Falcon or the Torino (the one and only 100% argentine car made 100% here, thats why its so common). The Falcon, despite its history with the dictatorship, is a very strong car, I knew at least 3 people that used to have, up to just 5 years ago, the 3 of them, an 68 falcon, the 3 of them sky blue.
You can crash and be sure the other car will suffer more. Is a rock.

I would buy The Falcon or the Torino (the one and only 100% argentine car made 100% here, thats why its so common). The Falcon, despite its history with the dictatorship, is a very strong car, I knew at least 3 people that used to have, up to just 5 years ago, the 3 of them, an 68 falcon, the 3 of them sky blue.
You can crash and be sure the other car will suffer more. Is a rock.

In the US, the Falcon was considered a joke car that, if your parents owned one, you would be embarrassed to seen in it. It lasted only a few years here.

Having already owned my share of falcons- 3 falcons and a comet- in the USA, and having also owned a peugot 504 in the USA, I would be drawn more to things that are not available up north, but are more common here.

I think the Fiat 1600 Coupe was a very pretty car, there are a lot of em in Argentina, parts are available, and they arent too expensive-
http://www.clasicosyantiguos.com/?fiat_1600_coupe_sport

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a Torino for the las couple years. I'll probably buy one when the dollar goes to 10 again. It's a beautiful car and really does everything I want a car to do.

Here is my input: having worked as a technician and as an engineer for 13 yrs for GM Argentina (in its old plant in San Martin), I can proudly say that I designed many of the stamping dies for the SS Coupe Chevy.
The engine was an standard Chevrolet engine manufactured here in a 99 % local content (only the valve lifters and rocker arms were imported, I think). Some models came with an automatic tranny. There must be plenty of spare parts here for this car. It also had a semi-chassis at the front, making it one of the best crash-resistant cars in the country (wheter it was a 2 dooor or 4 door).
If this is not enough muscle car for your taste, you can get a Crhysler Polara coupe with a V8, 4 liter engine, (the engine was made in Mexico at the time).
You wil be the fastest kid in the block (if you can afford the gas).

Back