What Common Mistakes Have You Made In Spanish?

Gringoboy

Registered
I've made and continue to make loads of errors.
One I remember when living in Spain and we had our house robbed, the Guardia Civil came over and said they would need to send a perito, so I asked them why they would need to send me a small dog.
And estoy embarazado is a mistake I made only once....:)

When they asked me what was my first impression of the Argentine people, I wanted to say they are warm, instead I said they are HOT!
I made a poor showing, but my boyfriend didn't. :p

As for the embarazada thing... check!

Then I tried to buy a phone plan with a lot of fingers (dedos) instead of data (datos) -_-

Reactions: Joe
I've made and continue to make loads of errors.
One I remember when living in Spain and we had our house robbed, the Guardia Civil came over and said they would need to send a perito, so I asked them why they would need to send me a small dog.
And estoy embarazado is a mistake I made only once....:)
That happened to me as well. It was my first day at university here, I kept wondering why my accounting prof was talking about puppies.

Mispronouncing the word for comb, such that it sounded as if I was talking about my tallywhacker.

When working at the Baker's Square in San Diego, an assistant manager told my friend Jose to put some chairs por atras, rather than alla atras, which occasioned much hilarity.

My high school Spanish teacher Margie related a story about when she was a learner, and went shopping for eggs. She asked the merchant, tienes huevos?

Margie also talked about driving along in the DF, outside of Mexico City, with some Mexican friends, when she saw some really big goats and cried, mira esos cabrones!

The use of the word "coger" - has a different meaning here as I learned the hard way :D

- Mistaking pueblo for people/population (would wrongly say villagio for a village)

- Not a mistake but during my first weeks here I didn't know how to say eggs. I tried a few times explaining what I wanted in a supermarket and ended up imitating (gesture + sound) a hen laying eggs.

- Told that already here: I went once to buy styrofoam in a small shop, asked for the price and said "Vendido!" (like Sold!). Both guys (likely father and son) looked at me like if I was looking for trouble. I repeated, situation remained that way for 40 seconds and I finally realized they were hearing Bandido!

- The classical mistake (writing) for the New Year = Feliz ano

Back