What I spent in one month in BsAs (budget traveller)

jontyjago said:
That's USD2670, remember. Pompeygazza is talking pesos surely - your rent isn't USD1800 a month?

At the official rate Lulu has spent about ARS12,000 which is more than both me and my girlfriend live on, but obviously we don't have expenses such as cameras, Spanish lessons, bank fees and our rent is much cheaper.

You're right - I was talking pesos

Great post Lulu. Good up to date guide for tourists. Just a question, did you not take a taxi from the airport?

Me and my girlfriend have spent around ARS$25k the last 2 months and we live fairly comfortably in my opinion, eating out a couple of times a week, going out and taking the odd taxi. This excludes Spanish lessons and bank fees also and includes rent of $2,700 pesos a month (long term, garantia).

trennod said:
Great post Lulu. Good up to date guide for tourists. Just a question, did you not take a taxi from the airport?

I took the bus (Manuel Tienda Leon) from the airport, approx. $16 USD, and then walked from Retiro to my apartment in Microcentro. And I haven't been taking taxis or using the subte very much, but that's because I don't really need to, unless I'm going somewhere in Palermo.

I had no idea what to expect in terms of prices when I got here, but I think it's reasonable from a (budget) tourist perspective. If I wasn't taking Spanish, I'd probably be doing more 'activities,' like tango or taking trips outside of the city.

arlean said:
Lulu special thank you for going to the trouble and posting that. I get by for less than you, cheaper rent, I don't do spanish lessons. I think a person could get by easily here for less than $1500, and I wouldn't consider $1200 out of the question though some might. Lifestyles vary. Just talking possibility here. I know an Argentine who does it on $200 US a month but owns her apartment. I don't know how she does it. She can't really buy food that I consider healthy and is often behind on expenses in her building--but she does it. So she says.

I get paid $1200 USD a month if you use the 5.8 unofficial exchange rate (~$1500 USD at official rate) , and I don't really save money, but I also don't make a huge effort to do so. I buy lunches almost every day and I eat out once a week, drinks 2-3 times a week, and I break even most months.

It's possible to live on that, I know because I do.

I spend about $555 USD a month, including my rent. I eat frugally, drink cheap whiskey and wine, and don't go to boliches and bars anymore. I have a really full life AND I'm able to save money AND I eat well.
Totally doable; just takes some practice. :)

MissEmma said:
I spend about $555 USD a month, including my rent.

I find it amazing how little everyone pays for rent! Is this how much you were paying when you first arrived? Or have you been here awhile?

I used an agency and I don't have too much of a problem paying the inflated prices because, after all, I'm a tourist. It is to be expected. My rent is also on the expensive side because I don't have any roommates, even though it could probably be shared.

And yes, I seem to spend to spend a lot of time (and money) in cafes.

My wife and I bought a small farm outright and a 2010 Ford Export outright. We live on retirement at $1460 a month. Food from the other posts sound about right. We live on about $400/month food(or $200 a piece). The price of gas and everything else, we don't have that much left over at the end of the month.
Mark IV

great thread! I am in countdown mode to my move in September and it is always great to see breakdowns of what people are spending.

Seems very low to me but eat out frequently wherever i am in the world, go to expensive theatre and concerts, pay a lotfor heslth insurance, a lot to maintain apartment etc

Back