what is the best way to find a job?

ilovethearg

Registered
I am thinking about moving to Buenos Aires after I graduate college in May. I studied abroad in the BA for 5 months and absolutely fell in love. Unfortunately, I have no real job experience and am not particularly interested in doing the teach English route.. does anybody have any advice on finding a job with an international company?

Apply to multinationals in BA and companies of your home country who are active in Argentina
And above all: be prepared to working 10 hours a day and lowering your salary demands to about 1500-2000 peso

With no real job exp. you are toast here. You might make 400 USD per month, And you will compete for the job with kids who have a masters degree and speak English fairly well. At 400USD you will be lucky. This is a very tough job market.

Your best bet is to connect with a company from your home country and get them to transfer you here. Trying to find a job here as a foreigner with no job experience in this economic climate would be like walking around trying to be struck my lightning on a sunny day. If you do find work it probably won't be in your field of study and you won't be making much money. You should try to target working situations where your grasp of English would be essential. If you have studied here you probably already are aware of the number of educated English speaking Argentines who are out of work now or doing work that is not related to their university training. Also factor in the fact that inflation here is totally out of control and shows little sign of abating. Things can work out well if you are transferred here though. I have a friend here who has some strange kind of off of the books working situation here where his paycheck goes to his account in the U.S. That would be the best case scenario.

"ilovethearg" said:
I am thinking about moving to Buenos Aires after I graduate college in May. I studied abroad in the BA for 5 months and absolutely fell in love. Unfortunately, I have no real job experience and am not particularly interested in doing the teach English route.. does anybody have any advice on finding a job with an international company?
I note with approval that the last two posters have given a realistic portrayal of what the world of work is like in Argentina. But this is becoming the case everywhere -- Argentina is just a bit worse. Multinationals pay better than local companies and have better working conditions but they are much more selective (and can afford to be so given the brigades of well-qualified applicants they attract). Also note that the reason they are in other countries is often because of the savings that accrue in employing people locally rather than in the US, Japan or Germany -- hence they want to pay as little as possible. It would make more sense for you to get a few years of work experience in whichever country you happen to be in, and then tentatively think of getting a corporate transfer (if possible) to Argentina.

To be crushingly realistic -- with no work experience it's going to be very tough to find a company at home to take you on and then say to you "Great, go head up our Argentine business". Entry level workers don't get the international transfers.
Best ideas are 1) Stay at home for a few more years and get some solid business experience with a company that has offices here. 2) Try to go independent, if you have any web experience you may be able to eke out a living via online bidding on jobs (elancer.com, rentacoder.com etc) 3) Suck it up and do the english teaching 4) Come down here and sell condos to foreigners and eke out a living on Argentine wages.
Argentina is a tough job market. Without work experience and as a foreigner you're really setting yourself up for a difficult situation. If you found a job with an international company, take 3-4 years with them, and then maybe you can get a transfer.
Another option that may work better for you and perhaps be more fulfilling would be to try and find NGOs doing work in Argentina and get a contract with one of them -- I suspect much of that work would be up north though, not BA. Try Red Cross, Oxfam, any of the myriad of UN organisations, children's charities, maybe look on the WHO to see if their doing anything, contact HelpArgentina etc etc Wages may be low (there's no danger pay in Argentina ;) ) but could be fulfilling.

Back