What is the future of the arts under Milei?

I agree that compromise is needed.

Please explain how Mieli might only last four months? How could he be removed? In the past the military took over. That will not happen again. I don't understand how a sitting President can be removed.
my left wing friend thinks that if things get bad enough, there will be gigantic demonstrations, the police will shoot a protester, and then the Congress will kick him out.
my right wing friend didnt say the exact process, but he also thought that it would be possible for there to be enough public pressure for congress to act against him.
Neither suggested a coup, or armed revolution.
Both are argentine, both are over 40 and educated professionals.
Personally, I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, much less in four months, but many argentine people I talk to have told me that they dont expect him to last a full term.

my left wing friend thinks that if things get bad enough, there will be gigantic demonstrations, the police will shoot a protester, and then the Congress will kick him out.
my right wing friend didnt say the exact process, but he also thought that it would be possible for there to be enough public pressure for congress to act against him.
Neither suggested a coup, or armed revolution.
Both are argentine, both are over 40 and educated professionals.
Personally, I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, much less in four months, but many argentine people I talk to have told me that they dont expect him to last a full term.
Is there an impeachent procedure? Can Congress kick him out because they don't like him but not for any actual violation of the law?

Milei has cut (or is it eliminated?) the subsidy for INCA (Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales) which keeps small independent filmmakers in business. He has indicated that he will cut the Teatro Colon's subsidy (the Colon is a municipal theatre however the city receives funds from the federal government which go to the Colon). Few, if any, arts institutions in the world can function without subsidies or heavy corporate/private support. The former is the European model; the latter the US model. Will arts institutions be out of business under the new government or will they be able to reduce surplus staff (the case with the Colon) and economise?
There is no place for the arts and literature in the "libertarian" hypercapitalist society of Milei's dreams. You are to wake up, work, and go home to consume VLLC propaganda, then repeat.

Arts breed zurdos and zurdos have to go
Black-and-white thinking on full display here. Government funding of artistic institutions is wholly positive for everyone... imagine throwing Culture out the window just to "own" the "zurdos". What thinking processes are (not) going on here?

There is no place for the arts and literature in the "libertarian" hypercapitalist society of Milei's dreams. You are to wake up, work, and go home to consume VLLC propaganda, then repeat.
I'm sure you posted this with the marcha peronista playing in the background and a portrait of Nestor in a heart shaped frame

I'm sure you posted this with the marcha peronista playing in the background and a portrait of Nestor in a heart shaped frame
Thank you for the laugh, but I would rather frame a portrait of Cristina 😂

There is no country that I know of that does not fund its arts . Cultural offerings are very important for the society and especially tourism . By destructing everything in the name of no hay plata this will ony bring more economic pain and no economic growth . Tourism in 6 months will plummet as Argentina will become too expensive for foreigners and with less to see and do will it be as attractive as it was . All this talk about being like Ireland in 45 years is crazy . Japan and Germany both fully destroyed after world war 2 in just 10 years were the richest countries of Europe and Asia . On the street there is massive suffering now and its much worse than a few months ago as the previous government as bad as it was kept things in check with prices for essential items . Now with inflation at 25% per month and savage spending cuts this will end very badly for argentinian people !

He has also closed the national foundation of the arts, the institute of theater, and is laying off arts employees. 90% of the staff at the museo de hombre, for example. Thats an ethnographic museum full of delicate historic artifacts. He is proposing to sell historic buildings, like the Victoria Ocampo house, close various national monuments, and close museums.
study after study globally show that every dollar spent on arts and culture have large multiplying effects, every arts job generates another 2 private jobs.
Absolutely correct. Arts dollars/pesos are smart policy. Unfortunately this recognition requires smart politicians and skillful administrators. Regretfully, that is something that this country has, arguably, been short on for a considerable number of years.

Back