What should I expect in terms of taxes?

Migraciones and AFIP are different agencies.

Yes, and so are the federal courts and migraciones.

Probably in your situation for migraciones you should just demonstrate "the honest way of living". They can be flexible in this respect. For example, they may agree to accept an apostilled letter from your USA employer describing your position, what kind of work do you do, and how long have you been with them, and that they expect you to be doing the same kind of work from Argentina.

I have never heard of AFIP being involved in the processs of a foreigner getting residency in Argentina, either temporary or permanent.

It's just a hunch, but I think you actually have to make money that is subject to taxation by AFIP before you can declare it or pay taxes on it.

That simply isn't possible when applying for temporary or permanent residency.

It looks like the US citizen who started this thread wanted to apply for permanent residency based on his marriage to an Argentine.

In that case, I don't think he would have to show any source of income to migraciones. At the least, I can say that I've never heard of this being a requirement.

I have only seen the expression "demonstrate an honest way of living" when BC2 was describing the requirement s for citizenship.

If the OP was applying for a temporary "work" visa, migraciones may indeed accept an apposilled letter with the details Lunar described, but think they might also want to see more concrete proof of prior employment, perhaps with some "pay stubs" and bank statements and might go so far as to ask for W2's ot tax returns (though I've never heard of them doing that.

I have never heard of AFIP being involved in the processs of a foreigner getting residency in Argentina, either temporary or permanent.

Not in a direct way.

One of the ways to demonstrate "the honest way of living" is to show certified pay stubs or paid taxes. Here is where AFIP comes into the picture. But there are other acceptable ways to prove that you are essentially a decent person, they just may be not spelled in the playbook to the same extent.

Not in a direct way.
...and might go so far as to ask for W2's ot tax returns (though I've never heard of them doing that.
I don't think migraciones accepts any documentation without an apostille. And it is unusual (at least in my experience) in the USA to apostille or even to notarize any work-relates documents.

Last edited:
One of the ways to demonstrate "the honest way of living" is to show certified pay stubs or paid taxes. Here is where AFIP comes into the picture. But there are other acceptable ways to prove that you are essentially a decent person, they just may be not spelled in the playbook to the same extent.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. As far as I know, migraciones does not ask anyone to demonstrate an honest way of living. According to Dr. Rubliat, that is required by the federal court when applying for citizenship.

I never heard of migraciones asking for proof of income (or payment of Argentine taxes) of someone applying for permanent residency based on marriage to an Argentine.

If they now do, it's good to know.

I don't think migraciones accepts any documentation without an apostille. And it is unusual (at least in my experience) in the USA to apostille or even to notarize any work-relates documents.

How would anyone "certify" (to the satisfaction of migraciones), pay stubs and taxes unless they had the apostille?

What can be notarized in the USA are "official" doccuments as well any document with a signature witnessed by a notary public.

A cover letter that cites "attached" pay stubs, bank statements, and tax doccuments that is signed by a CPA in the presence of a notary public can be notarized and then receive the apostille.

But this is meaningless if the OP is not applying for a "work" visa. If he was, wouldn't the company he works for have to be registered with AFIP to hire foreigners and wouldn't migraciones insist on that before granting temporary residency?

In that sense (and to clarify a sentence in my previous post), AFIP does get involved with the migraciones process when granting temporary work visas, but not (as far as I know) when someone is applying for premanent residency based on marriage to an Argentine.

I don't think there is (or would have been) any reason whatsoever for him to tell migraciones that he is working in Argentina when applying for permanent residency, which, by the way, is something I strongly believe he should still do, even if he and his wife are not planning on living here.

Last edited:
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. As far as I know, migraciones does not ask anyone to demonstrate an honest way of living.
When it comes to the permanent residency they do. May be it is not worded in exactly this way, though.

A cover letter that cites "attached" pay stubs, bank statements, and tax doccuments that is signed by a CPA in the presence of a notary public can be notarized and then receive the apostille.
Probably, you can yourself write on a copy of a pay stub: I made a valid photocopy of the real pay stub in the presence of a notary, and apostille the signature of the notary. Nothing certifies that CPA has any insight whether a pay stub is valid or that he is a real CPA at all. Local CPA can not certify your external documents, naturally. Besides, this is mostly a judgement about your character, not the amounts of money. But if migraciones is ready to accept it, why not?

Last edited:
I don't think I had to demonstrate an honest way of living with my PR. I filed as if i wanted to move here... as i was visiting on a tourist visa. Maybe if you were filing a PR from an overstayed Tourist Visa or something?

I didn't either. Unless this is brand new. How does it work for a stay at home spouse or student marrying a citizen?

It goes deeper than just the mentality for paying taxes or doing the right thing. The IRS and AFIP system and laws clash on so many levels. Find your personal comfort level within each system if you have to operate in both.

Back