What the hell is a "North American"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argentines love to generalize and group people together. All Spaniards are known as ¨Gallegos¨ here regardless of what region of Spain they are from. All Asian people are Chinos. And they sure love to call anyone Negro frivolously.

steveinbsas said:
In over eleven years SOTB I've never met a single American er, I mean Norte Americano who was offended by either of these labels. :p

Most of us from the Southern part of the U.S. take great offense when anyone refers to us as Yanquis. :)

nicoenarg said:
Honestly, I would prefer "Yanqui" over "Norte Americano"!

You are clearly not from Atlanta or Montgomery or Birmingham or New Orleans or Jackson. Probably from Chicago or New York, Boston or some other Yanqui town. I would rather be called a Gringo. Yanqui is a fightin word. :cool:

dr__dawggy said:
You are clearly not from Atlanta or Montgomery or Birmingham or New Orleans or Jackson. Probably from Chicago or New York, Boston or some other Yanqui town. I would rather be called a Gringo. Yanqui is a fightin word. :cool:

Lol. All I was trying to say was, I don't like being called Norte Americano. Gringo is fine too!

From Merrieam-Webster dictionary

Definition of AMERICAN

1: an American Indian of North America or South America

2: a native or inhabitant of North America or South America

3: a citizen of the United States

4: american english

YanquiGallego said:
Argentines love to generalize and group people together. All Spaniards are known as ¨Gallegos¨ here regardless of what region of Spain they are from. All Asian people are Chinos. And they sure love to call anyone Negro frivolously.

I have noticed they don't like it so much when the zapato is on the other foot. They do not care much for being referred to as "Latinos" rather than Argentinos, as if there is no difference in an Argentino and a Boliviano. :)

nicoenarg said:
Lol. All I was trying to say was, I don't like being called Norte Americano. Gringo is fine too!

I know. I was just messin with ya. Too much spare time on my hands this afternoon.

Many of them claim they are not Latin but European. When I ask them what part of Europe, they usually answer something along the lines of ¨Tucumán¨ ¨Calafate¨ etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back