What To Charge To Translate A Webpage?

RosaliaLL

Registered
Hey all,

I've been asked to translate a webpage from Spanish into English. It's been sent to me in code and because of that, I won't be able to get an accurate word count, but it's about 1000 lines.

I'm estimating it will probably take me about 6 or 7 hours.

I don't have a lot of professional experience translating, so I really don't know what would be a fair price to ask.

Any direction would be much appreciated!

30 to 40 pesos is really low, you are undercutting pro translators (who need to make a living to do this).
When I translated professionally, about 5 years ago, I was paid 3 US cents per word. (On top of this the company got a comission, and there was a proofreader and also another person checking, so in total translation cost was 4.5 US cents per word). The client paid about 12 cents per word in total.
I´ve been told that what I got paid was low.
If you are going hourly any pro worth their salt in BsAs is getting around 60 to 90 pesos per hour.
30 pesos is what an hourly rate maid gets.
If you want to charge less, that is your choice, but make sure you and your client is aware of this.
When you get more experience you won´t like it when someone comes in and undercuts you by 80%.

3 cents is really, really low. 5 cents should be a minimum imho.

I turn around 7/8 cents, but am sometimes paid around 12 cents (tricky legal or financial texts).

Back