What To Expect With A Furneral In Colombia

jbeas176

Registered
My girlfriend of 7 years lost her daughter yesterday. She drown while vacationing. I am traveling tomorrow to Medellin and would like some information should I need to make up front decisions. The body is to arrive tomorrow. I understand embalming is not the norm in south America. usually cremation is chosen and a service held to horror the deceased. I don't think they are very religious but catholic none the less. is it normal to cremate and then rent the church for the memorial service? I am so sorry for the topic, but I need some guidance should I be pressed into action. I am hoping he elderly parents will provide some guidance but can't count on it.

My sincere condolences, i'm sorry i can't be of any help

thanks, she was pretty hysterical and so was I to a lesser degree. she was 24 years for age, just finished college or university with an engineering degree. got her first job about 6 months ago. last week bought he first car. she was with her loving boyfriend in the ocean on vacation. the sea and its waves got violent, so she dove in to save her friend and never came up. wow that hurts

My father-in-law's funeral was like this: closed coffin (natural causes; 96 years old) the funeral "home" next to a big catholic church. As one funeral party left we enter the church for the funeral mass, then loaded in the hearse. Drove to the cemetary in a "chapel" for a final blessing - several days later his ashes were delivered.

Sorry for your girlfriend's loss.

wondering if it not too late for a coffin burial if they don't embalm. thought that usually happened within the first 24 or 48 hour. so sorry for this topic. don't like morbid.

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

What a terrible tragedy. As someone who was raised near the sea and lost a few folks to the ocean, I know how devastatingly unexpected this is. I offer you my deepest condolences.

From what I've spoken with my Colombian pals, your best bet is contacting a private funeral home. They offer all types of services. As a child, I was told that cremation was not the Catholic way; however a great deal of my family members, including my grandfather who was married to a very Catholic woman, were cremated.

Everything's going to be alright.

sorry cwo4, just reread your post. cremation then but had a service with a casket. thanks

thanks cecil fp. I will search for a funeral home before leaving. I should be able to get that from the parents. families always have friends.

Back