What Type Of Housing Do You Have?

What type of housing do you have?

• Total voters

YOenBA

Registered
I feel like every expat I know rents a furnished apartment, but that can't be true. I'm curious to how more permanent residents might be living.

I live with my Girlfriend and she owns an apartment. That wasn't on the list :)

We live in my partner's grandmother's house, rent free. She's lives in a retirement home now, and the rest of the family was worried about leaving the house empty. This wasn't the plan when I moved here, but the place is great and we feel really fortunate...especially since I will only be here a few more years.

Rent on a 2-year lease with my Argentine wife as the garantia.

Dave, you put your mrs up as the guarantee, hell why didnt I think of that :p

Jokes aside, I am in a similar situation as Dave (I think), rent on 2 year with garantia with my Argentina girlfriend.

Same here, 2 year rental using the girlfriend's grandma's guarantee.

We own an apartment in Palermo, live 1/2 year in BsAs, 1/2 in Seattle.
Nancy

I think for sanity's sake, long-term expats (more than a year or two and fairly certain on long term, at least up to 6 years or so) should find and furnish unfurnished long term contracts (ok they can be furnished, but true long term rentals are difficult to find for expats and most long term rentals are unfurnished).

It's not easy, it takes integrating to a certain extent to make connections and to figure out how things are done, and a person of a year or two just doesn't need to get that deep (nor spend the extra money) except where it interests them. If you can't get to the point where you find long term rentals in some fashion, where you don't move even every 6 months to a year, you're going to find it more and more difficult to feel "at home" the longer you are in that situation, in my opinion.

Everyone has their limits and time frames though. Mine was about a year before I was chafing to quit moving around and getting married sealed it. I fled the city as soon as I could! Then came back two years later (mostly) because the family didn't like living in the 'burbs without easy mass transport, that and the raising of prices.

It's not always about spending more to furnish a place and combing the cost of rent and expenses and comparing it to continuing to pay for temporary rentals and continue to move every so often, It's about having a home.

But the point being that where there's a will, there's a way, and if you don't develop a pretty strong will about living space, you may have problems in other areas coping.

I rented the apartment I'm in now, originally with a garantia from an apartment of an expat friend of mine who owns an apartment here. My house in the 'burbs from a local friend. My current apartment is now indefinite month-to-month continuing the original contract until one side or the other offers 60 days notice. For the first time since I came here (more than 6 years) I am SURE that I have long term housing and not just a short two-year future :)

Back