What would customs do if I brought grapes or other fruit?

Fiscal

Registered
Like if I went to whole foods the day of my flight and stocked up on fruits and vegetables and put them in my suitcase. Would customs seize them when they inspect my suitcase?

Like if I went to whole foods the day of my flight and stocked up on fruits and vegetables and put them in my suitcase. Would customs seize them when they inspect my suitcase?

After living here for over 10 years, I noted, some people - born and brought up - in first world countries, try to take advantage of the law here. Yes, many times they get away with it..but at times they don't they end up really bad - behind bars or deported or a heavy fine.

Will you consider taking fruits and vegetables to UsA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or even Chile? No Sir, you won't.

For example, at Auckland airport, even for carrying a single banana or single apple, they straight away fine you 500 Nz$ and there after start a case against you for bigger penalties or to find out it was a innocent mistake.

After living here for over 10 years, I noted, some people - born and brought up - in first world countries, try to take advantage of the law here. Yes, many times they get away with it..but at times they don't they end up really bad - behind bars or deported or a heavy fine.

Will you consider taking fruits and vegetables to UsA or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or even Chile? No Sir, you won't.

For example, at Auckland airport, even for carrying a single banana or single apple, they straight away fine you 500 Nz$ and there after start a case against you for bigger penalties or to find out it was a innocent mistake.

I would consider bringing delicious grapes over from another country into the us because no one in the US every searches my bags.

Funny- every time I fly to the US, I get those little love notes from the TSA left inside my bags when I open them.
My wife once got the treatment trying to smuggle a hard boiled egg into Argentina- she had made it for the airplane, and didnt eat it on the plane. They found it on their magic scanner, and took her aside, confiscated it, and wrote her a bad behavior report, which is stamped, signed, dated, and given to her. It was like being in elementary school again. But if you tried to bring a whole bag full of fruit in, most likely, it would be the ruler across the knuckles.

Yikes.

I have brought three large bags of organic dried mangos, a can of grape leaves, tons of baby food that is puree'd fruit and veggies. They search my bags but never call me out on these.

Productos no permitidos
  • Alimentos: productos de manufactura casera, carnes de cualquier especie animal, chacinados, embutidos, jamones, miel, productos y derivados lácteos, alimentos sin identificación o rótulo.
  • Vegetales: frutas y hortalizas frescas; flores y plantas de jardín; plantas frutales, ornamentales y forestales; vegetales y sus partes (semillas, raíces, yemas, etc.)
  • Animales vivos: en caso de mascotas, lea atentamente los requisitos para el ingreso.
  • Otros productos: alimentos para animales, productos apícolas (cera, propóleo, etc.), productos veterinarios (sueros, vacunas y otros), insectos, bacterias, hongos, material reproductivo y otros microorganismos para investigación.

Thanks. I'm going to break off a piece of grapevine from my favorite table grape farm, and then just grow it here to get my whole foods grapes.

Back