What Would Dollarization Mean for Expats?

Argentina is awash in Dollars, estimates last year were around $240 billion, mostly cash, more than any other country other than China and Russia.

However, the government doesn't have them, and the implied exchange rate if the economy was dollarized would be several thousand Pesos per Dollar, which would obviously be a huge shock to everyone with Pesos.

As you say, it would be such a bad idea to do so, for this and other reasons. The difficulties in living with a currency issued and controlled by another country shouldn't be underestimated.
I should’ve phrased it different: The Central Bank has no dollars.

I’ve read the same about the exchange rate too.

Terrible idea for so many reasons. You only have to look at convertability in the 90s and how that ended to see its not wise. Even then, that wasn’t dollarization.

Giving up monetary sovereignty is an awful idea especially for a country of Argentina's size, it's sold as a silver bullet to currency devaluation in the short term, except it removes any possibility of being a truly sovereign country further down the line. Even a devalued currency is better than being beholden to a currency you cannot print, that you rely entirely on getting from outside sources. There are many other measures that should be tried before doing something so drastic.

Kirchners and peronists will never stop endlessly printing money, and thus causing inflation

the money printing in the USA, and in many places from the pandemic, has certainty caused it there as well. this is what happens when you excessively increase the money supply.

having said that, you well know that inflation has been a problem in Argentina long before the pandemic

the money printing in the USA, and in many places from the pandemic, has certainty caused it there as well. this is what happens when you excessively increase the money supply.

having said that, you well know that inflation has been a problem in Argentina long before the pandemic
The USA had runaway inflation in the 1970's

As much as people like to talk about Argentines having dollars and the government not, I gotta ask who are these people besides those in barrio privados and apartments in Palermo/Recoleta/Puerto Madero, because the people I know live paycheck to paycheck in pesos, and are lucky to have even $500 in dollars for an emergency.

But I digress, if the reason dollarization is so appealing to people is because it's a means to halt inflation, this is obtainable via less drastic means. It's like firebombing your house to deal with cockroaches, sure, it will do the job, but you're gonna have a pile of ashes afterwards.

The prudent and easier thing to do, in my opinion, would be to stop having the BCRA cover fiscal deficits via issuance, maintain a positive interest rate for both deposits and loans above inflation by several basis points, and encourage in-bound tourism/exports to build reserves with the goal of eliminating the cepo.

If you want people to use the banking system instead of their mattresses for dollars you could even pitch something like an FDIC scheme backed by a non-Argentine institution such as the AIIB/BRICS Bank to encourage the entry of dollars in to the formal economy via deposits.

I get people want to kill inflation, but dollarization is a double edged sword, and I'm saying this as someone who would benefit personally from dollarization.

Finally, as to comparisons of monetary issuance with the US, let's remember the dollar is the global reserve currency unlike the peso, which means the US can print dollars without many of the issues other countries would face when doing the same because there is inherent value associated with dollars. I'm not saying this will last forever or is fair (and we're seeing increasing numbers of currency swaps by countries) but people will take dollars either for payment or will exchange them for the local currency everywhere, while people in Argentina don't even want pesos, forget neighboring countries or the US.

Back