What Would You Bring From Usa For Move?

arielm

Registered
I'm so glad i found this group! Hi!
My Argentine husband, 2 american sons and I are moving to BA for 18 months in June. After reading about how shipping is a nightmare, I think we're going to just take what we can on our flight. Do any of you have advice about what is worth bringing based on difference in price?
  • CLOTHES? For example, my 6 year old son will need warm clothes - shall we buy them here or bring them?
  • For people with kids, anything you wished you brought?
  • Any items you wished you brought?

THANK YOU!

Also for parents:
We are concerned about where our son who's currently in kindergarden should go when we arrive, already 3 months into Argentine school year. My husband is against living too far away from his family in Belgrano/Collegiales (sp?) area, so Lincoln is out. My questions on this topic include:

- should a kid who turns 6 in June be in kindergarden or first grade there? (*having completed kinder in the US)
- any schools people love for enthusiastic, quirky, expat boys? He's been listening to spanish his whole life but doesn't speak it easily.
- i noticed a lot of the schools are catholic, which we are not...any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Well I think as an older sibling of kids who move to Buenos Aires and back to US a lot, I'd say that it's worth bringing the things.
Clothes in Buenos Aires, even the ones that are bought from the malls don't usually last as much as the materials from USA.
We plan on moving back within this week from Jersey, and we plan on bringing clothes.
I mean on normal life necessities, you can usually find those or something close to those in the stores, but when it comes to clothes, I'd personally say just bring them.
I think hm.. My mother likes to pack things from Costco if that helps?
Anything from shaving cream to lotion, if they don't go over your baggage limit, are worth bringing because the price of the same thing tend to be a lot higher.
Electronics, especially if you use apple... Spare adapters, connectors, etc.
School..
Well I've been to Colegio de Manuel Belgrano (CMB) after I finished 6th grade in NJ, and I'd say it's a pretty decent school..
I mean the standards and the way they teach are most definitely different but it's one of the most decent ones.
I've also been to Sara Chamberlain de Eccleston, but would not recommend that to anyone.. They tend to ignore the people that can't speak spanish fluently, or at least that's how it was for me and my sisters.
I've personally given up trying to go to school there, and opted for boarding school or graduation via internet because it's just difficult. If you fail 3 or more I believe of the subjects, you're automatically held back a year. For me that was basically death even with tutor. But if your kids were exposed to Spanish before going, I think they should be fine:)
Religion by the way.. I mean they'll have their chapels and praying sessions, but they're not that forceful with it. Our family is on the agnostic and atheist side, and it was alright :)
Hope this helped in some sort of way :)

Regarding what to bring, I would suggest you do all your clothes shopping in the US. Clothes are very expensive here and the quality leaves much to be desired. I would also buy shoes for your son in the US for the same reason. If you can, I would advise buying the staples of his wardrobe & shoes to meet his needs for however long you will be here. On another note, toys & books are another item I would pre-buy in the US. Think about each holiday you celebrate & bring the gifts you intend to give with you. Even with added luggage fees it will be a significant savings.
As for schools, our experience has not been ideal so I will let others advise you on that subject.
Best of luck with your move! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I'm so glad i found this group! Hi![/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My Argentine husband, 2 american sons and I are moving to BA for 18 months in June. After reading about how shipping is a nightmare, I think we're going to just take what we can on our flight. Do any of you have advice about what is worth bringing based on difference in price?[/background]
  • CLOTHES? For example, my 6 year old son will need warm clothes - shall we buy them here or bring them?

Bring as much as you can get on a plane - clothes, shoes, electronics, anything you can think of. Pay for extra luggage. You'll be sorry if you don't.

The things I missed the most when I first arrived---

If you use washcloths--- washcloths--- They are not sold here.

A really good can opener. You won't use it often, but when you do, you will be so happy.

Boxes of ziplock bags for storage--freezer and sandwich.

I'm so glad i found this group! Hi!
My Argentine husband, 2 american sons and I are moving to BA for 18 months in June. After reading about how shipping is a nightmare, I think we're going to just take what we can on our flight. Do any of you have advice about what is worth bringing based on difference in price?
THANK YOU!

Also for parents:
We are concerned about where our son who's currently in kindergarden should go when we arrive, already 3 months into Argentine school year. My husband is against living too far away from his family in Belgrano/Collegiales (sp?) area, so Lincoln is out. My questions on this topic include:

- should a kid who turns 6 in June be in kindergarden or first grade there? (*having completed kinder in the US)
- any schools people love for enthusiastic, quirky, expat boys? He's been listening to spanish his whole life but doesn't speak it easily.
- i noticed a lot of the schools are catholic, which we are not...any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Your son 6 in June will be lilkely be in 1st grade but some schools call 1st grade pre-escolar here so it may vary but and depend upon the school but no need to worry as pre-escolar is equivalent to the academic standard of 1st grade. Many bilingual schools are Laico ie non-denominational or with only a leaning towards Catholocism so participation in activities is optional and substituted by other classes such as values or chess if you chose not to go down the Catholic route as we didn't - see Belgrano day school, Washington, Sworn College in Belgrano and all worth a visit.
Bring quantities of the basics such as good quality cotton vests, underwear, pyjamas and socks for the children..that's something I really missed being able to buy cheaply and in quantity. Good luck with the move!

You might bring a few food treats too, eg evaporated miilk (hard to find here, and 4 dollars a tin if you do). Peanut butter is expensive for the only (mediocre) brand available, cocoa doesn't exist here (sorry, the stuff at the dieteticas is like carob mixed with rat droppings), spices for mexican food or curry (hard to get that here) and tortilla chips can't be had for love nor money.

Agree with everything said here. Any costs you incur in extra baggage, you will make up for several-fold during your stay. Bring all the clothes/shoes that your children/you will need throughout your stay. Also bring the electronics you think you will need and any toys/presents. It is now nigh-on impossible to buy things online and get them sent here, certainly without paying at least twice the price and risking losing your post altogether and local prices for these sorts of things are through the roof (plus, the selection is much more limited). Also, if you have any make-up/toiletry products that you like to use, bring them too (especially if its higher end stuff).

You might bring a few food treats too, eg evaporated miilk (hard to find here, and 4 dollars a tin if you do). Peanut butter is expensive for the only (mediocre) brand available, cocoa doesn't exist here (sorry, the stuff at the dieteticas is like carob mixed with rat droppings), spices for mexican food or curry (hard to get that here) and tortilla chips can't be had for love nor money.

Really? I buy tortilla chips at the grocery store all the time to make nachos.

I'm also quite satisfied with dame mani.

Back