What's going on?

"realba" said:
all expats whine, it's part of being an expat and is something i've seen in every country in which i've travelled and lived...it's something natural amongst all expat communities all over the
world; the expat wants, most of the time subconsciously, to feel
superior to the natives. the longer an expat is out of his home country the more he starts to idealise where he was born and brought up and the more he unfairly compares this idealistic version of 'home' to where he is now. of course, this means conveniently forgetting why he left in the first place. most expats feel prouder of coming from country xyz when they live abroad and often find themselves defending 'home' far more than they would necessarily like to due to some kind of unconscious nationalism.
You hit the nail on the head with your usual perspicacity, realba. Long may you continue to post on this forum.

'all expats whine'I don't agree with it. If one decides to
move somewhere, it is surely because one has interest in knowing that
place, a new culture, a new language...One who freely decides to
make such a move should walk around the new hometown with eyes well
opened and as receptive as he/she can. Trying to smell the new
fragancies, to see new colours, to listen to new kinds of music...Sure
everyone has to face difficult situations, but those with the right
attitude are the ones who will enjoy the experience the most. Los amargados are very likely to be unhappy.

As usual, we seem to have gone "off topic" somewhat. My original question "what's going on?" was intended as a stone thrown into a pool to see the ripples and now we're all talking about whining for goodness sake.
OK, I believe the Argentines (not Argentinians BBW) have every right to whine. We, as expats DON'T. Just look at what the banks did 2001/2.How many presidents did they have during that awful period? I've lost count.I lived here during the 76 coup d'etat and I firmly believe that most Argentines have a right to mistrust their governments and whinge about them.
I'm not going to get drawn into the Malvinas/F***klands debate, except to say that it was, at the time politically expedient for both leaders of the time and an unnecesary disaster.
On a more positive note, just about the only whining I do is about Argentine beurocracy and rubber stamping fetishes. Apart from that, I love this country and it's people. I can't think of anywhere that I've been made to feel more welcome in.
I also have to say that speaking Castellano gives you a major boost of confidence.When I first arrived I spoke with a Spanish accent, saying things like hostia! and venga! I think I lost that accent almost overnight as Adriana would fall about laughing. But I digress. maybe we should start a new thread entitled....Things I love about Argentina! And hope it doesn't get hi jacked.

Apologies for my poor grammar and spelling, which is inexcusable really. I'm a writer.

My experiences with expatriates is this most absolutely love argentina as a country some dont and as most people know who have been living here for a few years most expatriates move home within 12 months. To love something is one thing to make a life and earn pesos is another and many dont make it here.
Overall i find the comments here balanced and I do beleive that if someone has a complaint about their life here that is completely normal and forums are here to express that.
Nowhere in the world is perfect and to express your opinions here about a subject that is bothering you is a fundamental human right and need . Lighten up guys it is a huge decision to move to another country with a completely different culture and society and there are bound to be cultural differences.
I have noted lately this tendency here that if you dont profess 100 percent undying devotion to Buenos Aires that you are a traitor . Nothing can be further from the truth in my case as I moved here by choice and enjoy where I live immensely.
Everyone is well aware that all societies can be improved on and as long as its a constructive criticism I am all for that

Back