What's the reality of safety in Buenos Aires?

Well, now you've really gone upmarket :D But we don't know what @arvest would prefer, a simple place like Primavera Trujillana in Belgrano (good food, but omigod they were sloow), or a place like Nemuri Tera, for example (it self-identifies as a Japanese restaurant, idk what pronouns to use, but they have ceviche on the menu, there are a couple of places that offer Japanese-Peruvian fusion cuisine).

When I lived in Lima I used to order the executive lunches from an entirely unpretentious place called La Nueva Tropicana on the corner of La Paz and Schell, everything you could eat for maybe USD 3. The only thing that would tempt me out in the evening to eat was the promise of a good sudado de pescado. Cocoroco in Belgrano have that, but they got mean with their portions.

By the way, is Tanta still operational? I vaguely remember reading that Gaston Acurio wanted out of BA.
Tanta is open no issues, just went there the other week. I am looking for the tastiest food, price doesn't really matter as long as it's good

Well, now you've really gone upmarket :D But we don't know what @arvest would prefer, a simple place like Primavera Trujillana in Belgrano (good food, but omigod they were sloow), or a place like Nemuri Tera, for example (it self-identifies as a Japanese restaurant, idk what pronouns to use, but they have ceviche on the menu, there are a couple of places that offer Japanese-Peruvian fusion cuisine).

When I lived in Lima I used to order the executive lunches from an entirely unpretentious place called La Nueva Tropicana on the corner of La Paz and Schell, everything you could eat for maybe USD 3. The only thing that would tempt me out in the evening to eat was the promise of a good sudado de pescado. Cocoroco in Belgrano have that, but they got mean with their portions.

By the way, is Tanta still operational? I vaguely remember reading that Gaston Acurio wanted out of BA.
Tanta put up an instagram post with a picture of food 2 days ago, so I am guessing yes.
And Acurio was involved in the relatively recent barra chalaca on niceto vega near the pulgas, which is much less fancy than tanta, but pretty good in my opinion.

Argentine branch of Acurio's "street food" casual dining chain. I am a huge causa fan, and I thought their causa was pretty good.
Not cheap, but what is these days. Big portions, dishes that the cheaper Once area peruvian restaurants dont have.

This always befuddles me.

I ride the colectivos almost every day.
I look out the window, and I observe what locals are wearing.

I see encargados, dressed head to toe in Pampero work clothes (I love Pampero, and often wear it)
I see lawyers, dressed in fitted suits and shiny leather shoes ( I only have one suit here, a nice gray sharkskin, but I do have a couple of pairs of shiny black shoes)
I see skaters, dressed in cargo shorts and vans (I used to wear Vans, when I was much younger, but the flat soles make my feet hurt now. I do still have a pair of slipons stashed, though)
I see preppies, wearing Kevington chombas (golf shirts) and tailored patterned shorts (not a look for me)
I see pampas hippies, wearing bombachas, alpargatas, and tie died t shirts (I own all those things)
I see goths. Lots of goths, studded, platform booted, fake and real leather, with eyeliner (I seldom wear my really tall platforms, still own an original ramones style leather jacket though. Not big on eyeliner)
I see older dudes from the estancias, wearing those quilted jackets from Arandu, with elegant sneakers, and really tight fitting jeans, looking like a million dollars, because they are worth that, easy, just in cattle. (I have the tight jeans, but I am somehow missing the million dollars)
I see futbol fans, wearing either head to toe track suits, looking like russian mobsters, or basketball shorts and a boca jrs jersey, both enormous (again, not really my look, but I can dig it)
I see a million ordinary joes, wearing running shoes, jeans, and rock band t shirts. (not a big Nirvana guy, but I have all those things, although my sneakers are leopard print)

We wont even start on the womens clothes, except to say there are probalby twice as many different looks.

So- which of these looks is looking like a "local"?

I do know, if you want to be identified as a tourist, without doubt, you wear all expedition wear- shorts, long sleeved shirts, and floppy brimmed hats, from patagonia or north face or some other outdoorsy label, with each garment covered in pockets. Tourists and people on cruise ships are convinced that there are no pockets in Argentina, so they bring extra. Who, exactly, NEEDS 3 pockets on their hat?
They also wear 300$ climbing/running/orienteering boot sneakers that take a half hour to lace.
Antarctica starts here.

I will say, that in all my travels around Argentina, and every day in Capital, there are two things that pretty much all Argentines have in common-

1- good, recent haircuts. Everybody except destitute street people has been to the barber or the salon in the last two weeks. That includes goatherds in the andes, cartoneros, and everyone else.
2- clean, respectable shoes. I have seen, very rarely, a hipster, usually german, with intentionally worn and scuffed shoes. Every single Argentine I know always has great looking shoes, clean and polished if needed, blindingly white, unscuffed, and new looking.

You wanna look local, go to the barber (many now serve coffee or cocktails), and buy yourself some decent new shoes.
Awesome. I'm shave head so I'm all set :)

I'm moving to BA with my wife and 2 year old daughter. I am not worried about phone-snatchers and pick-pockets. More worried about violence, kidnapping, home invasion, and extortion. And specifically worried about being targeted because my wife is Asian and I am American. I imagine we will stick out.

I think many peoples perceptions of safety in places they have never been are wrong. I have a friend who gets his opinions from twitter/X telling me Argentina is not safe because the economy is bad, and that Columbia would be more safe. Crime stats seem to suggest the opposite.

What do you think? Any advice?
I've lived all over the world. BSas is one of the safest places I've ever stayed in.

I received this email today.

Event: U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires has seen an increase in reports of robberies involving drugs that temporarily incapacitate victims. Victims have been targeted in bars, night clubs, and through dating applications. Avoid leaving food or drinks unattended at a bar or restaurant, and refuse offers of something to eat or drink from a stranger. Be cautious before inviting individuals back to your hotel or residence.

Actions to Take:

• If you are imminent danger, contact local authorities by dialing “911.”
  • Do not leave drinks or food unattended or take drinks from strangers.
  • Strongly consider meeting only in public places and avoid meeting or returning to isolated locations, such as residences or hotel rooms, where crimes are more likely to occur.
  • Tell a friend or family member of your plans, including where you are going, details of the person you are meeting, and the app you used to meet them. Victims who are targeted via online dating applications tend to have their electronic devices stolen which often contain all evidence of communication with the assailants.
  • Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone and leaving with strangers.
  • Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right, do not hesitate to walk away from a situation.
  • Seek medical attention if you believe you may have been drugged.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phone number: +54 11 5777 4533
Contact us through the ACS Navigator

I received this email today.

Event: U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires has seen an increase in reports of robberies involving drugs that temporarily incapacitate victims. Victims have been targeted in bars, night clubs, and through dating applications. Avoid leaving food or drinks unattended at a bar or restaurant, and refuse offers of something to eat or drink from a stranger. Be cautious before inviting individuals back to your hotel or residence.

Actions to Take:

• If you are imminent danger, contact local authorities by dialing “911.”
  • Do not leave drinks or food unattended or take drinks from strangers.
  • Strongly consider meeting only in public places and avoid meeting or returning to isolated locations, such as residences or hotel rooms, where crimes are more likely to occur.
  • Tell a friend or family member of your plans, including where you are going, details of the person you are meeting, and the app you used to meet them. Victims who are targeted via online dating applications tend to have their electronic devices stolen which often contain all evidence of communication with the assailants.
  • Avoid going to bars or nightclubs alone and leaving with strangers.
  • Trust your instincts – if something does not feel right, do not hesitate to walk away from a situation.
  • Seek medical attention if you believe you may have been drugged.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phone number: +54 11 5777 4533
Contact us through the ACS Navigator

Sounds like the situation in Colombia right now. I suppose if the economic situations reach parity the druggings of tourists will too

The spiked with drugs drink scam was featured in the Buenos Aires episode of "Scam City" about five years ago. I'll search for a link.

Last edited:
The YouTube video in my previous post is only a two minute intro to the full episode which may have aired.almost ten years ago.. I will continue to search.

I'm moving to BA with my wife and 2 year old daughter. I am not worried about phone-snatchers and pick-pockets. More worried about violence, kidnapping, home invasion, and extortion. And specifically worried about being targeted because my wife is Asian and I am American. I imagine we will stick out.
I just found this video about "Argentina's Very Chinese Capital" while searching for the Buenos Aires episodio of Scam City:

I found the comments especially interesting as I lived within walking distance from Chinatown for a year before "Goung Galt" in the farsourh of Pcia. Bs. As. fourteen years ago.

Back