What's the story on Salta?

AliAlex said:
Salta is a beautiful province & the capital city (Salta) is really something else. Those who only remember Balcarce street or the golf club have no appreciation for its unique culture & history (too bad they missed it!).
I recommend that you visit the "Casa de Salta" (just a few stepts from the Obelisco) to get the best information. Here's the link: http://www.casadesalta.gov.ar/

Bad attemt to bash me

i doubt anyone needs to bash you blah blah. your own comments do enough of that.

Reactions: jp
If you want to try some "real" folklore (by that I mean not just a show for tourists, but a place the local people enjoy every day), you can visit La Casona del Molino, a great peña in the city of Salta.

I must also recommend my brother's restaurant in San Lorenzo:

http://www.sanlorenzosalta.org.ar/tacodereina/index.html

Another suggestion would be to start (or end) your North trip in Tucuman, in Tafi del Valle, I went last year and loved it.

Salta is close to a world apart, Jujuy, is even further!
Salta is probably one of the best kept colonial cities in America, with an incredible architecture, very hospitable people and a very rich culture. As mentioned before, Salta is the gateway to the northern Argentinean culture (I would consider Tucuman, but it means including a few more days to a trip, and a more complex society and historic events, and also a lot of wine tastings coming from the South).

The rhythm in the region is slooooooooooow. But justifiable, since you'll always be at important altitudes, and if you are not used to them, after one day, you will want everything to be very slow.

The city is very safe, cheaper than Buenos Aires, has one of the best Universities in Argentina and offers a pretty interesting cultural life.

I was there last week, so if anyone needs up to date info, just contact me. I was there on a scouting trip to organize a photography workshop, so have really good tourism "insides" and some local contacts.

In Salta, you HAVE to visit the mommies museum, called Museo de Antropología de Alta Montaña (MAAM), in front of the main square. Also the MAC (contemporary art museum) is really worth it, and across the square. If you have time and money, I also strongly recommend going to the Hess Foundation in Colome. And of course, the trip to the Jujuy province is a unique experience, especially Quebrada de Humahuaca and Salina Grande.

Back