What's your hobby? Show me yours and I'll show you mine...

MorganF said:
I spend a disproportionate amount of my time studying very old maps; and, when I'm not doing that, I'm trying to figure out who wrote the plays and poetry that is usually attributed to a man named "William Shakespeare" (hint: I don't think it was the man named "William Shakespeare.")

If any of you ever get an invitation to my apartment to get drunk here, you'll see old maps lining the walls ;)

morgan

I was thinking hard if I have a hobby and your post reminds me that I might have...

I like old maps, starting at it, imagining about the age of discovery, and the explorers who used/ made it. I tried looking for old maps of BsAs here but not sure where to start.... However, earlier this year, during a trip to New York, I stumbled onto a shop that sells antique maps and reprint. The shop name is Argosy Gallery on East 59th Street. I spent a long time there and bought close to USD 1 K on maps.. some reprints, some originals. Altogether I bought 3, each representing a country and region where I have worked. The largest is a reprint of the discovery of the Americas... I cannot remember the name because I have still not unpacked it from the tube which was used to transport it. I hope they are still intact; one of them was dated 1857, one of the few maps that identified a Middle East country where I worked....

If anyone know where I can get reprints or real old maps of BsAs, let me know. Thanks.

joeteixido said:
Morgan! YOU RASCAL... we met before in PV and one of the old Barcamps. Nice to see you are still around... and yet absolutely not surprised about your hobby lol

Hahaha awwww thanks -- you know I've seen your posts on BAexpats but I didn't connect you with you until this! I totally remember you, our talks, and the the ancient Barcamps years ago -- feels like a different universe and different BA back then :) Welcome to BAexpats, a wonderfully useful place to watch the psychological field lab, the real-time experiment, of what Argentina does to foreigners who have been here long enough ;)

morgan

Dipoots said:
If anyone know where I can get reprints or real old maps of BsAs, let me know. Thanks.

We have found a few antique map dealers down here. You can find a few in San Telmo old market. Also San Telmo weekend fair typically has one or two dealers in the square who have shops around town.

MorganF said:
Welcome to BAexpats, a wonderfully useful place to watch the psychological field lab, the real-time experiment, of what Argentina does to foreigners who have been here long enough ;)

No sh*t! Have you seen the thread from entraderas? I had to pull out my old army nomex suit plus all the kevlar I could find lol

Actually I have been a lurker for a good 2 years now, but as of late I'm finding myself in need to connect with somebody from "outside" if for nothing else than to check on my sanity. Specially after watching the Cadena Nacional and feeling like I am the only guy awake in a train that is about to wreck lol

Anyways, don't want to go too much into pollitics... got my nomex suit at the laundry.

Nice talking to you, PM with details, maybe we can have a beer and talk about maps, models (scale and otherwise) or something :D

I love karaoke, horses, and learning languages. I particularly like Korean-style karaoke places with separate rooms. I think I could go there all by myself and sing away an afternoon! (Sometimes my friends get tired of the songs I pick so maybe it is not such a bad idea...)

In Buenos Aires, I collect miniature anvils (junque) and also Pinguinos. You dont want to know how many I have- but at least its not hundreds. Give me time.

I also go to obscure museums- there are five train museums in Greater BsAs, for example, two auto museums in the city, another in La Plata, and the Fangio Museum in Balcarce, and more in the provinces. I have been meaning to go to the Air Force Museum in Moron. Of course, I have been to a lot of other oddball museums, in Argentina alone, not to mention dozens and dozens in other countries.

I make a habit of trying the Fugazzetta in most every pizzeria that serves it. Favorite so far has to be La Mezzetta.

Many of the things that normal people consider hobbies- say, crocheting or sewing or blacksmithing or woodworking- I tend to do on a pretty industrial scale, and for money, so they cant really be called a hobby anymore.

I cook Thai, Indian, Mexican, and Italian food- passably, but not excellently, and thats probably a hobby.

Back