When will Argentina be open for tourists to enter?

i wonder if these election results will spur the ruling party to accelerate reopening and open borders sooner in October. I wouldn't be surprised, they need to open up the economy fast if they want to prevent an absolute rout in November.

The reason why I posted what I did was because while this is true I'm thinking the government find more value in controlling the people to stay within the country. As they cannot ban folks from leaving they can make returning a nightmare, thus discouraging travel and USD leaving the country. The gov has already clamped everything else and one final leak in the dam is controlling citizens' spend outside the country. Tourists also don't sell their dollars at the official price so they drive up the exchange rate which is another issue the gov does not want to deal with right now.

All this can be made under the cover of the COVID/delta excuse. We all know the COVID/Delta excuse is really a proxy for the economy/inflation excuses.

I predicted back in February there would be new border controls for the entire winter time only to be reduced in Nov 2021. Nov will open the Arg travel season and encourage locals to travel/spend within the country as they won't be able to easily enter the country. I'm feeling pretty confident about the prediction so far. Gov may let more tourists in the country at some point but it won't be wide open borders, it'll be some complicated BS that only allows Brazilians/Chileans/Uruguayans in "freely".

The gov did make a pretty good effort to try to return to "normal" at the end there. It was surprising how fast things can change when there is an election to win. Too little, too late.

Last edited:
i wonder if these election results will spur the ruling party to accelerate reopening and open borders sooner in October. I wouldn't be surprised, they need to open up the economy fast if they want to prevent an absolute rout in November.
I am thinking the same thing. Opening the borders could bring rapid improvements for the local tourist industry. And there are several provinces that heavily depend on tourism. I would not be surprised if they open Argentina for neighboring countries very soon.

Unfortunately that does not necessarily mean that we can travel more. Countries like Chile would have to open up as well.

The reason why I posted what I did was because while this is true I'm thinking the government find more value in controlling the people to stay within the country. As they cannot ban folks from leaving they can make returning a nightmare, thus discouraging travel and USD leaving the country. The gov has already clamped everything else and one final leak in the dam is controlling citizens' spend outside the country. Tourists also don't sell their dollars at the official price so they drive up the exchange rate which is another issue the gov does not want to deal with right now.

All this can be made under the cover of the COVID/delta excuse. We all know the COVID/Delta excuse is really a proxy for the economy/inflation excuses.

I predicted back in February there would be new border controls for the entire winter time only to be reduced in Nov 2021. Nov will open the Arg travel season and encourage locals to travel/spend within the country as they won't be able to easily enter the country. I'm feeling pretty confident about the prediction so far. Gov may let more tourists in the country at some point but it won't be wide open borders, it'll be some complicated BS that only allows Brazilians/Chileans/Uruguayans in "freely".

The gov did make a pretty good effort to try to return to "normal" at the end there. It was surprising how fast things can change when there is an election to win. Too little, too late.

Yup, at this point, it's all about economics. Once borders open again dollars are going to be leaving at a faster rate than entering, or that's the calculation of the government.

And to BAHibs this isn't an anti government opinion from opposition voices. It's a cost benefit analysis done by Guzman and his underlings. Maybe it's a good thing, and they are avoiding a major crisis by such action, or maybe not.

Yup, at this point, it's all about economics. Once borders open again dollars are going to be leaving at a faster rate than entering, or that's the calculation of the government.

The thing is that some land borders (like the one between Mendoza and Santiago, Chile) have already been opened for Argentinian residents and nationals. The reason why people do not travel to Santiago is that they do not let us in. Allowing Chilean tourists to travel to Mendoza would not change that. We could still no go to Santiago and spend our money there...

I totally agree with you. COVID is a lame excuse for flight restrictions here and I came to the conclusion that whenever they take this kind of senseless measures there is always something else behind, which might not be so obvious to most people. That's the way they do things. Whether you like what my opinion or not, we are being taken hostages.

Restrictions have to do with low vaccinations rates and high infection rates in the country. As the vaccination rates increase, we will see opening to tourism (will require proof of vaccination). It is very likely this will happen by October 1st. 40% of the people in Argentina are fully vaccinated. 60% of the people got at least one dose.

Of course it wasn't, and I'm pretty tired of coming on this forum looking for advice and having the usual suspects use every thread to push their politics.
what was political about his followup post? seems to make the point pretty clear. do you not agree?

Restrictions have to do with low vaccinations rates and high infection rates in the country. As the vaccination rates increase, we will see opening to tourism (will require proof of vaccination). It is very likely this will happen by October 1st. 40% of the people in Argentina are fully vaccinated. 60% of the people got at least one dose.

So you believe that in a little over 2 weeks this will happen? Don't know about that

Back