where am i supposed to pay tax?

If you have a problem, you could pay my taxes for me, I would be most grateful.
40% on what I earn, 17.5% on everything I spend, something like 200% on fuel..
My advice is keep your money if you can, spend it wisely on wine women amd dance, governments only waste it on arms. :D

All depends on your status of residency, are you ordinarily resident in Singaporr, where is your country of domicile etc... And depending on your nationality and status of residency, it will depend on whether there is a double taxation agreement between Argentina and yoru own country of residency - Ane just because you are living in Argentina, albeit on a tourist visa, that doesnt make that your domicile...

See, it is confusing, hence you need to seek an expert...

mini said:
You must be a resident somewhere? What is the address on your bank account? .
The address on your bank account doesn't necessarily have to be in your country of residence.

Celia said:
The address on your bank account doesn't necessarily have to be in your country of residence.

No & I didn't say it did. I was just asking.

Can we not read every little thing anyone writes?

wow, opened a pandora's box there! well, thanks anyway for your answers. It confirmed what I already knew.

Call me a tax evader if you want, but i'm not going to go out of my way to figure out where I should pay!
I'm just not really a resident of anywhere right now. I guess I could maybe be considered a US resident or Irish (dual citizen), though I haven't lived in either for the last 10 yrs or so since I was a student. I've been a career expat so far and always paid taxes in teh countries I worked in until here. I know the US has double-taxation, but I don't make enough for that. Ireland doesn't tax if you live more than 6 months out of the country.

My company was supposd to get work visas sorted out for us fairly quickly once we got here to BA, but bureacracy is delaying that prob till the end of the year. So I guess I just get away with it until then!

It's a weird gray area. I will be getting prof advice later this year when the paperwork starts moving again..

itsme said:
wow, opened a pandora's box there! well, thanks anyway for your answers. It confirmed what I already knew.

Call me a tax evader if you want, but i'm not going to go out of my way to figure out where I should pay!
I'm just not really a resident of anywhere right now. I guess I could maybe be considered a US resident or Irish (dual citizen), though I haven't lived in either for the last 10 yrs or so since I was a student. I've been a career expat so far and always paid taxes in teh countries I worked in until here. I know the US has double-taxation, but I don't make enough for that. Ireland doesn't tax if you live more than 6 months out of the country.

My company was supposd to get work visas sorted out for us fairly quickly once we got here to BA, but bureacracy is delaying that prob till the end of the year. So I guess I just get away with it until then!

It's a weird gray area. I will be getting prof advice later this year when the paperwork starts moving again..

You make less that US$$7,550?

If you are an US citizen you must pay your taxes in the US. Since you don't pay taxes anywhere else the "double taxation" things doesn't come into play. That would only come in if you were already taxed elsewhere, which you are not. (ie double taxation treaty).

Many banks are required by law to report on you, so be careful.

mini said:
You make less that US$$7,550?

Many banks are required by law to report on you, so be careful.

I believe that US banks are required to report deposits/transactions over $10,000 US to the IRS, but if anyone else has more info I hope they will add to this thread.

Yes, i've been told the same for USD$10k + transactions with US banks. Other countries i've lived in followed usually follow the same rule, (notice how in customs in most countries you must declare $10kUSD or more ) but it varies by country.

BTW - Steve, you always seem to give practical advice, particularly when you've been through the experience yourself. thanks for that!

amat said:
yes, i've been told the same for usd$10k + transactions with us banks. Other countries i've lived in followed usually follow the same rule, (notice how in customs in most countries you must declare $10kusd or more ) but it varies by country.

Btw - steve, you always seem to give practical advice, particularly when you've been through the experience yourself. Thanks for that!

amat, you are not only very perceptive, you are very welcome!

MY GREATEST DESIRE WHEN I POST ON THIS FORUM IS TO HELP OTHERS (though I am certainly NOT an ALTRUIST!).

I know a few members have a problem (with the reality) of that.

Too bad for them...

It's not my problem.

It's theirs.

Who is John Galt?

Perhaps only BigBadWolf knows for sure...

steveinbsas said:
I believe that US banks are required to report deposits/transactions over $10,000 US to the IRS, but if anyone else has more info I hope they will add to this thread.

There are two issues in my post above:

1. If you make under US$7550 per year you are not required to file income taxes.
2. Banks in many countries are required to report interest, investments, etc to the IRS of accounts held by US citizens.

Back