Where Argies Think You Are From?

Girino

Registered
I arrived here and everybody thought I was German.
By month #5 they thought I was American.
At month #9 I was mistook for Australian.
Now it's month #10 and I was asked if I am Brazilian.

Sure they don't lack fantasy, these Argies.
And, by the way, you can see how my guessed nationality moved from European to the Americas, the Southern hemisphere and finally South America. I don't know if I should consider this a sign of improvement in my speech - whenever I ask them "Can't you see I am Italian by my accent" they shrug and say that Italians talk differently, but they are not able to provide example/imitations of Italians speaking Spanish. Du-uh!

Brazilian means your Spanish is decent enough, accent obviously foreign but not clear enough to place you. Take it as a compliment*.

*until you get on the line with a company like Gol, whose agents' Spanish is utterly unintelligible. Then you start thinking "Do they all mean my Spanish sounds like that"?

Brazilian means your Spanish is decent enough, accent obviously foreign but not clear enough to place you. Take it as a compliment*.

*until you get on the line with a company like Gol, whose agents' Spanish is utterly unintelligible. Then you start thinking "Do they all mean my Spanish sounds like that"?

Well, I thought it was meant as "You look like Gisele". :lol:

Serafina, do you use your hand language when speaking to the Argentos? If you do, they will pinpoint and tell you, Ah you are Italiana!

They can´t pin point where I am from anymore, I take it as a huge compliment. They hear the minor accent that I'm sure will never go away but don't hear the obvious yanqui accent they heard when I first moved here haha

Argentines from the interior part of the country think I'm Argentine, Colombians think I'm porteña, and porteños say I sound French but look Arabic. Serafina, you started one of the most interesting threads in a while.

Majority of the time Spain, and then a tied for a distant second USA (correct) and Russia.

When the Spain thing became a regular occurrence I had to ask why. I was told it has to do with how I pronounce the letter "s"

I am the son of Irish immigrants to Argentina and went to school here for years before moving abroad for 3 years as a young kid
then came back and left again abroad. I am obviously a native fluent speaker but people hear something and often ask" de donde sos?" or "donde estuviste cuando te fuiste?"
NO ONE EVER EVER guesses and they take all kinds of wild guesses from Italian(no way) Brazilian(also no way) German(small possibility) and never English-speaking even though I spoke only English with my parents for the first few years of my life. When I tell them I spent 22 years in the Czech Republic,then they say "ay si, tenes un acento checo" not knowing AT ALL what a Czech accent sounds like although I can tell it a mile away!
I must admit though I get pretty tired of it when they ask and sometimes give smart-ass answers like Transdniester or Silesia

The majority here figures I am Brazilian from the get go. But when I am very casually dressed, some think I am Paraguayan, and treat me accordingly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garryl Newcomers Forum 24
camberiu Expat Life 0
gsi16386 Expat Life 4
A Expat Life 62
Back