Where can i get a nice suit made?

moravagine

Registered
Ill be leaving Argentina soon and would like to pick up a decent suit before I go. Nothing too fancy. Just black. Maybe brown. I have never owned a suit in my life, but as my birthday is coming up, i figured its about time to get one. Im also fairly certain that my plane back to the USA is going to crash, and if i had to die, it seems that it would be best to die wearing a brand new suit.
I need something affordable, but then again i dont want to waste money on a suit that looks like the ones they give guys who just get let out of prison, with a greyhound ticket and a bowl of soup.
Ive heard you can get one here for a low price, and ive seen a few places that have ready to go pants and jackets available for purchase. I am considering having one tailored out for me if the cloth is good and not too expensive. How much could i expect to pay? Any ideas??

Thank you
Tommy

DON´T DO IT ! I bought a sport jacket at a men´s store with a French name begining with the letter "R" on Alvear about a year ago. I´ve worn it about 4 times, but never buttoned it, until I was in cold San Francisco, last week. One of the buttons fell off instantly and the other was hanging by a thread. Great quality for a not inexpensive jacket.

moravagine said:
Ill be leaving Argentina soon and would like to pick up a decent suit before I go. Nothing too fancy. Just black. Maybe brown. I have never owned a suit in my life, but as my birthday is coming up, i figured its about time to get one. Im also fairly certain that my plane back to the USA is going to crash, and if i had to die, it seems that it would be best to die wearing a brand new suit.
I need something affordable, but then again i dont want to waste money on a suit that looks like the ones they give guys who just get let out of prison, with a greyhound ticket and a bowl of soup.
Ive heard you can get one here for a low price, and ive seen a few places that have ready to go pants and jackets available for purchase. I am considering having one tailored out for me if the cloth is good and not too expensive. How much could i expect to pay? Any ideas??

Thank you
Tommy

LOL, are you flying with Air France?
Never had anything tailor made, but I have had some excellent shirts and jackets from BsAs. Just like anywhere, you get what you pay for, but at a much lower price, but if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is.

I know a lot of people that come down and buy Lacroix and Dior for better prices. A good Dior shirt costs about 500 pesos now though.

My husband has had suits tailor made, but they may not be the steal you are looking for, as although the labour is relatively cheap the fabric is not, since it's usually Italian imports. However you're still going to get a tailored suit fit just for you -- I think you're looking at anywhere between 1200 and 2000 pesos for a quality suit, but if you get it in a navy or charcoal and stick with a traditional 2 button (or 3 if you're taller and slimmer) and classic lapel, and forget about getting one of these super-close fitted suits that are a trend of the moment, you won't have to buy another suit. Also, the tailor-made suits have generous seams so that they can usually be let out one to two inches so even if you put on the weight you'll be fine. The place my husband goes does free alterations on all their suits, he's in Chile right now but when he gets back I'll find out how much he paid the last time round and where he last went.

Back