where can I legalize my birth certificate

You have to have a reason to have a visa, you can't just go down to the immigration office and tell them you want to live here legally, unfortunately.

Marriage and work, as has been suggested. You can marry a resident from any country, and of even temporary residency status. If the spouse is a temporary resident, I don't think you could go for permanent right away.

With work, you have to get a company to sponsor you, so you have to have a job with a local company and a work contract with them.

Some way to show that you have at least $2500 pesos a month in stable income would get you a visa. A salary doesn't count, but ownership in something that gives you that amount, like a percentage in a business, retirement or investment money. It has to be attested to by an accountant, apostilled, etc.

Investment - if you have 1.5 million pesos (used to be 500K but my lawyer told me it went up) you can buy government bonds, but you have to keep the money in it the whole time you're going through the residency process, I think.

I have a friend who is thinking about starting up a business here in Buenos Aires, with him as an owner of the company, but NOT a worker, earning money. His lawyer has told him that that will get him on the temporary visa track, and then permanent thereafter. But it has to be a real business, not a shell. It has to open up in some fashion, provide services, make invoices, pay taxes.

The change from temporary to permanent residency is still being granted on the third renewal.

Another member with an investor visa recently posted he was told by migraciones that he could not upgrade from temporary to permanent residency, but would have to renew annualy...forever.

ElQueso said:
Some way to show that you have at least $2500 pesos a month in stable income would get you a visa. A salary doesn't count, but ownership in something that gives you that amount, like a percentage in a business, retirement or investment money. It has to be attested to by an accountant, apostilled, etc.

I think the amount is now $2700 pesos per month ($720U$D). A notarized letter from a CPA can receive the seal of the Apostille. ElQueso is correct, a salary is not acceptable, but corporate dividends (profit distributions) would be accepted. Even if they were deposited into a US account on a quarterly basis, it is still "necessary" to withdraw the funds monthly (using an ATM) and deposit them into a bank account in Argentina. Wire transfers are not necessary. If you have the Argentine bank statements showing the monthly deposits migraciones probably won't even ask to see any US bank statements (I know from experience).

ElQueso said:
Investment - if you have 1.5 million pesos (used to be 500K but my lawyer told me it went up) you can buy government bonds, but you have to keep the money in it the whole time you're going through the residency process, I think.

Wow! That's $400,000 U$D! I think depositing that amount of money here would be a huge risk to take!

If you have $27,000 US you could set up a "trust account" with a US bank that distributes $720 per month. The $27,000 represents three years of future "stable" income, which is exactly what the regulations for receiving the visa rentista stipulate. A notarized letter from a bank officer that verifies the existence of the account would be acceptable at migraciones. You wouldn't need a CPA for this one. A copy of the trust agreement should be attached to the letter from the bank. It can receive the seal of the Apostille and then be translated and legalized here. I also know this from experience. It might help if the trust was also "irrevocable" (a word migraciones likes a lot). It means the funds will be tied up for the duration of the trust, but the beneficiary is actually receiving his/her own funds, so what's the problema?

I think this could be an alternative for someone who has some savings, may still be a few years away from receiving Social Security benefits, but doesn't need to "work" in the US, and would prefer to live in Argentina NOW (even while "working" on line?). If the "trust" is irrevocable" you shouldn't need a new letter from the bank when you go to renew the visa. I didn't for the first two renewals, but did on the third as I was upgrading to permanent. The bank didn't even charge for it.

Even with the visa rentista granted under these conditions, when you begin receiving Social Security payments, migraciones will accept "proof" of that income to renew the visa (to them the visa rentista and pensionado are essentially equal). Both visas will require annual renewals without the possibility of becoming permanent (under the new rules).

It might be a good idea to show the equivalent income of $1000 USD per month. It's a nice round number and leaves no doubt that the income requirement is being met (I know this from experience, too). This is the number some "agencies" have been using for a few years. This would also entail funding a trust account with an initial deposit of $36,000U$D.

ElQueso said:
I have a friend who is thinking about starting up a business here in Buenos Aires, with him as an owner of the company, but NOT a worker, earning money. His lawyer has told him that that will get him on the temporary visa track, and then permanent thereafter. But it has to be a real business, not a shell. It has to open up in some fashion, provide services, make invoices, pay taxes.

While it would cost more than $720 a month to live in Argentina, it would be easy to lose many times that with a business here (instead of making money). If soulskier is right, the investor visa doesn't lead to permanent residency. I'd hate to have to reapply for an investor visa even once, let alone year after year.

Back