Where can you try out cell phones before you buy them?

BrooklynStandUp

Registered
Hey all, I am interested in trying out a few smartphones before I buy one. Problem is, 99% of the places I've been to have them behind glass in the box. I've been to all the smaller Movistar, Claro, and Personal places but they are a joke. Even the large electronics places like Fravega and Garbarino don't have them out to sample. I appreciate your advice.

you mean like a Demo smartphone in all models, where you can introduce your own chip and test drive. Never heard of such a thing, maybe exits? would like to know

i never really try smart phones before i buy them.... strange but it is same with cars (used cars even), you'll just adapt.

just get the iphone or samsung... galaxy s3.

No, I don't necessarily mean where you could put your own chip into the phone, although that would be incredibly convenient. They don't even do that in the States as far as I know. I just would like to play with the phones, feel the screen touch sensitivity, see how fast it is overall navigating around, etc. I had an iPhone 4 that I JUST got factory unlocked through ATT/Apple, it's one I've had for over 2 years, and within my first week of being here it was lifted from my pocket on the Subte linea D. I had it in my front pocket in some really tight skinny jeans, mind you. I completely underestimated how good these assholes are. Anyway, I'm currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy Ace. Looks like a decent mid-range option, has good overall reviews, and the demos on YouTube make it seem comparable to an iPhone 4 mas o menos.

There's a large Movistar store on Florida where the manufacturers have stands and they show their products.

Maybe Florida and Tucuman?

BrooklynStandUp said:
No, I don't necessarily mean where you could put your own chip into the phone, although that would be incredibly convenient. They don't even do that in the States as far as I know. I just would like to play with the phones, feel the screen touch sensitivity, see how fast it is overall navigating around, etc. I had an iPhone 4 that I JUST got factory unlocked through ATT/Apple, it's one I've had for over 2 years, and within my first week of being here it was lifted from my pocket on the Subte linea D. I had it in my front pocket in some really tight skinny jeans, mind you. I completely underestimated how good these assholes are. Anyway, I'm currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy Ace. Looks like a decent mid-range option, has good overall reviews, and the demos on YouTube make it seem comparable to an iPhone 4 mas o menos.

32gb iPhone 4 unlocked very good condition. USD 500 or ARS 3175. PM me if interested

Iznogud said:
There's a large Movistar store on Florida where the manufacturers have stands and they show their products.

Maybe Florida and Tucuman?

My Spanish tutor also mentioned this location when I asked her about it today. I am going to head over there and check it out. I appreciate the suggestions, all.

Has anyone purchased an unlocked phone (movil liberado) from Movistar or another provider? The guy at Movistar off Callao told me they could unlock it, but I don't speak quite enough yet to have confidence that I'm not being lied to. The last thing I need is to pay way too much for a phone here to ultimately bring it back to the States and find out that it won't work there with a prepaid SIM.

How sophisticated must your phone be?

I buy new dumb unlocked phones for $300 or less. I'm dumb and I do not need a phone smarter than myself.
Currently using a cheapo Samsung w/radio. Good reception, won't cry (long) if I lose it or gets stolen. Battery never runs out (amazing!).

I mean, I would not buy an outrageously expensive smartphone here having the possibility of buying cheaper later in the US. Shop practical, shop smart. Shop S-Mart!

shop-smart-shop-s-mart.jpeg

Like I said, I had an iPhone 4 that was liberated from my pocket on linea D, so it would be difficult for me to go back to the 20th century. I'm not going to get one of those huge screen Galaxy Note phones or anything. That would be like wearing a Rolex around here I think. I just want a decent, mid-range smartphone where texting isn't a pain in the ass, I can email, browse the internet, use mapping/gps, and listen to music. Samsung Galaxy Ace seems to be that model.

i have the ace, apart from the battery life (runs out in half a day if you actively use the MP3/camera) and camera (quality is fine, but no zoom and gets disabled when battery is low) it works fine. And mine has been safe so far, since the end of february ;)

Back