Where do you pick up your pet at EZE?

g_c

Registered
for those of you who have brought your pets here as cargo... where do you pick them up? i've been told i'll be picking her up at the cargo area so i'm assuming that is outside of the arrivals terminal, after i go through customs. i know there is a SENASA desk right before you get through customs... that's not where i pick her up?

i hear it depends on the airline and the one we're flying with will have this cargo area process which is different than some others.

any info is appreciated. thanks.

I arrived with my business partner and our 2 dogs a few years ago via Mexicana Airlines. At the time, we claimed our pets' carrier cages where you pick up your luggage at EZE. The dog carriers were wheeled in and we just waited until we saw our boxes. I loaded the kennels on the luggage carts, wheeled the carts to the Senasa desk, gave them the papers and paid the fee and walked on through. One great thing about arriving with the pet is we avoided going through the area where you claim your money and electronics you are bringing in with you. Your mileage may vary....

Which airline are you flying with? I got here about a week ago and brought my dog via Continental cargo. I don't want to freak you out, but you should be prepared for a frustrating and ridiculously unorganized process. I landed at around 9:15am, and wasn't allowed to get my dog out of her cage [even after a 10 hour flight] until almost 2pm, although I did get to see her and know she was alright. Here's what I did:

After passing through Customs and baggage claim, you go through security. The SENASA desk by the baggage claim is not for people who ship their pets in cargo, only go there if you pick up your pet with the baggage. You will probably do best to ask someone who works for your airline where to go next, because it may be different. I first had to go to a building by Terminal B called Aeropuertos Argentina 2000, to a small Continental office on the 3rd floor, and paid $110USD to get my dog's paperwork. Then, we went to the cargo area, which is out past Terminal A. You have to go through a security stop and give your ID, and then find your warehouse. Continental's cargo company is called Prodexco [or something similar] and it's the last warehouse on the right. Then the bullshitting really began, as we had to wait for the people from the cargo company to return, look at our papers, and send us to the SENASA warehouse, where they also looked at our papers and then told us to return to the airport to pay the SENASA fee at Banco La Nacion. After waiting in the same line as 20 other people trying to change currency, we paid $80USD, then took that receipt back to SENASA. Then they sent us back with everything to the original warehouse, who then said we needed another signature and to pay another fee at the tesoderia, a few buildings down. When we got there, the man looked at our papers and said he didn't know what to charge us because no amount had been written down. After several phone calls and the realization that my boyfriend was about to kill someone if they sent us anywhere else, they decided whatever the fee was wasn't that important and stamped our papers anyways. Finally, FINALLY, we got my poor pup out of her cage [15+ hours without a pee!] and she did her business the second we got to a patch of grass. What a shame that she didn't do it right in the middle of the warehouse, where the assholes in cargo had to clean it up!!

Once again, I'm telling you all this in the hopes that you will 1) have more luck getting through the process quickly than we did, and 2) so that you are prepared to be bullshitted and sent blindly all over the damn airport because nobody, not one person, knows what needs to be done to get a pet out of cargo. Bienvenidos a Argentina! It all worked out okay in the end, but I'd be lying if I said I kept my calm the whole time. If you need any other info, feel free to send me a PM.

Gosh darn, Stuck. What a nightmare! g_c, maybe you should consider getting a new ticket for the pooch and ship it as luggage... Good luck & have a safe trip!

i might be a sucker for believing there's a difference but there's supposed to be a difference flying a dog as luggage, with the luggage, vs flying as cargo with this airline. extra paperwork and some time is worth it to me as long as she gets there in good shape and on the same plane. i would drive from north america if i had a reliable car and the time to make it easier on her.

we brought our dog over on American and he came out on the baggage conveyor belt with the suitcases :)

it was very simple and fast.

If you ignore the 4+ hours when my dog was sitting in her cage in the warehouse dying to pee, I do think that the Continental program as a whole took good care of her. She was way less shook-up than I had anticipated after such a long flight [and my dog has a lot of anxiety problems, so she usually gets upset easily]. The problem lies with the Argentine cargo company that Continental uses, not with the airline itself. At least she was kept waiting for me in the secluded, quiet cargo area, rather than in the luggage claim with hundreds of people passing by and dogs barking like mad. I think that would have gotten to her more than the flight itself. Overall I like the Continental program... although I might also be a sucker for thinking there's a big difference.

cabindweller said:
we brought our dog over on American and he came out on the baggage conveyor belt with the suitcases :)

it was very simple and fast.

Did you send your dog as "cargo" or as "luggage"? (I didn't know a difference existed.) How did you check your dog into the airport in the USA? I called American once to discuss options and got very vague answers from operators who seemed unsure about the process. After you picked your dog up on the luggage conveyor belt, what did you have to do next to get the dog out of the airport?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sometimes this board is worth its weight in gold!

-Tom

from what i understand... when they get checked in as luggage they ride with the luggage and when checked as cargo they ride in a seperate area but not all airlines have both/either option... and that's why we have to pick them up in another part of the airport as opposed to coming in on the conveyor belt.

not sure our crate would fit on the belt anyway so i'll take what i've learned from this thread, rent a van/suv from one of the rental car services in the airport and make my rounds to pick up our dog while my wife waits with our bags in the car. i'll see if i can get any answers out of the SENASA desk by customs regarding paying/checking documents there while we wait in line to get through.

unless... can i drive to/from each of these buildings so no one is left behind or is this area airport vehicle only?

Back