Where have all the coins gone?

Mitscherman

Registered
Where have all the coins gone?

Today I approached the MONSA 'ticket' office in Ing. Maschwitz to

change a 10 peso note in order to ride the bus. They did not have change!

When I inquired how I was supposed to ride the bus if they don't have

coins, they referred me to a bank. At the bank, they didn't have

coins either. In fact, the manager said they have used Monsa to buy

coins but stopped because Monsa was selling at a profit.

Sure I could use all the tricks to save coins throughout the week but

because I use public transport daily, coins spend quickly. A close

friend said that having to use coins on the collectivos has always

been inconvenient but at least you could find coins. This year,

something has changed...

Back to my original question... Where have all the coins gone?

Has the Buenos Aires Herald, the Clarin, or La Nacion looked into this

phenomenon?

A person from Mendoza said coins are even harder to come by there

because people sell them in Chile for a profit. Is this true?

No cambio! Otherwise known as the "change game". Get used to it. You have to develop tactics to get change and hang onto it. One of which is to never give it up unless you have to.
Speaking of which... I'd like to gather up all these little candies they give you as 5 centavo change and hand those to a store clerk to pay for something. "What? it was worth 5 centavos to you when you gave it to me.."

Thanks for the replies but still no answer. Does anyone really know what is going on? Perhaps all the change is being hoarded by the common person in an attempt to not have the problem I am facing. Or perhaps there is something much more sinister going on. Like maybe coins cost more to produce than they are actually worth. Therefore, people in the know are collecting and selling.Or maybe it is a grand experiment to see how much stress portenios (and tourists) can handle in their lives. Sure the change issue is insignificant when compared to other social problems. But it is still one more problem. It only took a straw to break the camel's back. Or is the government blind to this anomaly?I don't think it takes rocket science to realize there is a change problem and then fix the problem. The idea that one could buy tickets or bus cards at almacens and newspaper stands for example. After all, they have no problem selling phone cards.

I heard the other day that there was not only a coin shortage but a paper money shortage too, not sure if I believe that though. Can anyone verify?

"Elpanada" said:
I heard the other day that there was not only a coin shortage but a paper money shortage too, not sure if I believe that though. Can anyone verify?
News to me!

"Mitscherman" said:

News to me!
About 90% of all Argentines have a money shortage

"Granadaiscool" said:

News to me!

About 90% of all Argentines have a money shortage
Argentines and 90% of the rest of the world as well. If people didn't think they had a money shortage, why would so many continue to slave away day after day in a job they don't like and/or a place they don't want to be?But that still doesn't answer the question... Where are all the coins?It's not like there aren't any... People use them everyday to buy candy, pay tolls on the autopista, and ride buses. But somehow they do not find their way back into mass circulation. Why is it soooooo damn hard to find coins? Intelligent answers are welcome! If you don't know, that's o.k. too; save your time and energy for being productive.

Back