Where Is Best Place To Get Pesos When You Arrive?

polostar88

Registered
I imagine that the exchanges in the airport give terrible rates. But what is the alternative? Taking money from an ATM is probably not much better given all the fees. So what would you recommend? Trade dollars at airport exchanges and just take the hit?

Also is there any danger, if you stay in a hotel, of having your things searched and being robbed by hotel staff? What's the best way to protect yourself?

I'll be arriving in late January I think. I notice some posts here about prices in BsAs. So, 50 pesos for coffee/agua con gas doesn't sound too great. At the official exchange that's more than $5, which doesn't represent any savings with RE to Europe or to BsAs a few years ago. I thought things were getting cheaper?

arrive on 29th jan ..as you will get the best rate of the next 6 months to follow at Florida street

I imagine that the exchanges in the airport give terrible rates. But what is the alternative? Taking money from an ATM is probably not much better given all the fees. So what would you recommend? Trade dollars at airport exchanges and just take the hit?

Also is there any danger, if you stay in a hotel, of having your things searched and being robbed by hotel staff? What's the best way to protect yourself?

I'll be arriving in late January I think. I notice some posts here about prices in BsAs. So, 50 pesos for coffee/agua con gas doesn't sound too great. At the official exchange that's more than $5, which doesn't represent any savings with RE to Europe or to BsAs a few years ago. I thought things were getting cheaper?
Most hotels and apartments have small safes in them. Safety should not be a problem.

arrive on 29th jan ..as you will get the best rate of the next 6 months to follow at Florida street

OK...you are too sophisticated for me, as I don't get the joke. Some answer to my questions would be appreciated though.

If you use the official exchange rate and/or take money out of the ATMs here, you will find BA quite expensive.

I'd change enough there at the airport for the ride into town and maybe a couple of drinks, at most - maybe $50-60 bucks or so. Don't change in the baggage area, wait until you get past customs before you exit and there is a bank there that will give a better rate. At least that's how it used to be.

You want to find a place to change money on the blue market. Right now the official rate is hovering around 8.5 and you should be able to get at least 13 on Florida street (the coming week). Do a search for money change or cambio or something on the forum and there's plenty of talk about where to change for the blue rate.

Change as much as you need for a few days or a week at most because the rate fluctuates.

The government is screwing around the with the blue rate providers so it's not anywhere near as high as it should be either, but much, much better than official or ATM.

Pay your hotel, restaurant bill and purchases with cash. Don't use your credit/debit card. Not because of safety but because you will pay through the nose.

Bring a few 20 dollar bills to cash at the airport, to pay the bus or taxi from airport which will run like 30 dollars at the official rate....!
Then the hotel will direct you to a place to cash dollars at blue rate,,,

My advice:
Upon arrival change a few bucks at an ATM in or bank in EZEIZA, fetch a cab or bus, check in at the hotel, go to Galeria Boston at Florida St and B. Mitre, and then you will get about 13 pesos to each dollar or more.
Repeat as necessary.

the webteam should really think of a FAQ section... nothing against the OP or the search function... but a FAQ for first timers would be a very good idea for all these same basic questions that get asked every week.... airport taxi... money exchange..... tourist visa.... etc

Back