Where to apply for residency?

GMan_27

Registered
I will be coming to Argentina with my Argentinian wife to live for the forseeable future. I can come to Argentina for 90 days without a visa. Should I apply for permanent residence at the Argentina consulate in my country? Or should I just apply for citizenship / permanent residence in Argentina when I arrive? We do not have kids (planning to after we settle) yet and I have only come to Argentina for a month a few years ago.

I will be coming to Argentina with my Argentinian wife to live for the forseeable future. I can come to Argentina for 90 days without a visa. Should I apply for permanent residence at the Argentina consulate in my country? Or should I just apply for citizenship / permanent residence in Argentina when I arrive? We do not have kids (planning to after we settle) yet and I have only come to Argentina for a month a few years ago.
Apply for permanent residence and if you wish citizenship as well when you arrive. The two paths are different and done with different institutions 1. Migraciones and 2. Justice System (aka courts). The permanent residence should come out quick while the citizenship could take several years to wrap up.

A
Apply for legal residency here if you fit a visa category. For citizenship it can be requested in 2 different ways: with or without legal residency, with or without the 2 years. With legal residency and more than 2 years you can do it your self for free. Without legal residency and the 2 years you need a lawyer.

I suggest you inquire at the Argentine consulate in yuor country as to whether or not you can apply for premanet residency there.

Also ask the cost of applying there as well as what documents are required, regardless of where you start the process. if that's what you decide to do.

Apply for legal residency here if you fit a visa category. For citizenship it can be requested in 2 different ways: with or without legal residency, with or without the 2 years. With legal residency and more than 2 years you can do it your self for free. Without legal residency and the 2 years you need a lawyer.

As far as I know, based on many posts here, you do not have to have legal residency (as far as migraciones is concerned) or two years of "physical residency" (as far as citizenship is concerned) to apply for citizenship if you are married to an Argentine.

If that is correct, you can bypass migraciones completely and apply for citizenship on your own (and without a lawyer) as soon as you arrive in Argentina.

Apply for permanent residence and if you wish citizenship as well when you arrive. The two paths are different and done with different institutions 1. Migraciones and 2. Justice System (aka courts). The permanent residence should come out quick while the citizenship could take several years to wrap up.

If applying for citizenship based on marriage exempts you from the two year "residency" requirment for citizenship, I can't imagine why you would want to go to the trouble to apply for permanent residency, especially if citizenship can be obtained in a matter of months as opposed to "several" years.

As always, I welcome corrections.

I suggest you inquire at the Argentine consulate in yuor country as to whether or not you can apply for premanet residency there.

Also ask the cost of applying there as well as what documents are required, regardless of where you start the process. if that's what you decide to do.

As far as I know, based on many posts here, you do not have to have legal residency (as far as migraciones is concerned) or two years of "physical residency" (as far as citizenship is concerned) to apply for citizenship if you are married to an Argentine.

If that is correct, you can bypass migraciones completely and apply for citizenship on your own (and without a lawyer) as soon as you arrive in Argentina.

If you can apply for citizenship based on marriage and that exempts you from the two year "residency" requirment for citizenship, I can't imagine why you would want to go to the trouble to apply for permanent residency, especially if citizenship can be obtained in a matter of months as opposed to "several" years.

Because what is he going to do for his legal status here while his citizenship case is ongoing? It can easily take years to obtain the carta de ciudadania. Yes -- vanilla cases of those with 2 years residence and DNI may take just 12 months and with some luck and significant involvement maybe less, but he is traveling as a tourist on a 90 day visa stamp. And then? You are right he has the right to apply without the 2 year residence based on the law but my understanding is that some judges are still apprehensive about granting citizenship for someone fresh off the boat and at least would protract the case.

That's why the safest route is travel to AR as a tourist. Apply for permanent residence as the spouse of an AR citizen. As soon as you apply you automatically get precaria until you get the dispo. and the DNI. He is free to apply for the citizenship then. Having a DNI as a perm resident will definitely make his case easier when he goes to the court.

P.S Applying at a consulate is always more expensive and takes more time. If you plan to be living here just do it here and not abroad, it makes most sense.

Because what is he going to do for his legal status here while his citizenship case is ongoing? It can easily take years to obtain the carta de ciudadania. Yes -- vanilla cases of those with 2 years residence and DNI may take just 12 months and with some luck and significant involvement maybe less, but he is traveling as a tourist on a 90 day visa stamp. And then? You are right he has the right to apply without the 2 year residence based on the law but my understanding is that some judges are still apprehensive about granting citizenship for someone fresh off the boat and at least would protract the case.

That's why the safest route is travel to AR as a tourist. Apply for permanent residence as the spouse of an AR citizen. As soon as you apply you automatically get precaria until you get the dispo. and the DNI. He is free to apply for the citizenship then. Having a DNI as a perm resident will definitely make his case easier when he goes to the court.

P.S Applying at a consulate is always more expensive and takes more time. If you plan to be living here just do it here and not abroad, it makes most sense.
Good points!

And excellent advice!!

You can apply at the Argentine Consulate in your home country/country of residence or when you arrive in Argentina. I applied for my permanent residency at a Consulate, it cost me about 850 USD while in Argentina it would cost way less but would probably take more time. I got it pretty fast, less than two weeks.

You can apply at the Argentine Consulate in your home country/country of residence or when you arrive in Argentina. I applied for my permanent residency at a Consulate, it cost me about 850 USD while in Argentina it would cost way less but would probably take more time. I got it pretty fast, less than two weeks.
850 dollars vs. 30 bucks (applying here).
He will already be here and will get a precaria within days and the dispo. soon after. It's a no brainer esp. since he plans to move here.
If he get's the visa aboard he will still have to get an appointment for Migraciones here in order to get his biometrics taken for the DNI.

850 dollars vs. 30 bucks (applying here).
He will already be here and will get a precaria within days and the dispo. soon after. It's a no brainer esp. since he plans to move here.
If he get's the visa aboard he will still have to get an appointment for Migraciones here in order to get his biometrics taken for the DNI.
This is interesting. I think the best bet is to land in Arg. Get my 90 days then go apply for my perm residence. Saves a large amount of money.

Back