Where to buy cheap Chicken Breast, cheap brocolli and cheap apples

Me and my novio almost exclusively buy meat and fruits/veggies at the Ferias barriales. They are markets put on by the city gov meant to help us fight inflation and the prices are really great for meats (MUCH cheaper than Wal Mart where we do the rest of our shopping)
For example last time we went we paid 28 pesos per kilo of chicken breast and it was at around 50 at wal mart the same week.

I also find the quality to be much better because it's basically a farmer's market cutting out the middle man of the supermarket.

Explanation:
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ercados/ferias_intinerantes.php?menu_id=23759

To find out where one is near you:
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...o/ferias_mercados/ubicacion.php?menu_id=23759

citygirl said:
Irina - how is the quality there?

The quality is great!! The fruits and veggies are great farmer's market quality, and the girl last week even checked every apple of our 2 kilo purchase to make sure not to give us a bruised one. The meats are great as well and with really good prices. They also have a cart with a lot of good cheeses and salamis/sausages, a cart with plants/herbs, a cart with cleaning products and random stuff, one with pet food. I can't attest to those prices though because we stick to meats and veggies/fruits.

Thanks.

It seems I am not doing too badly at Jumbo then! I admit i also buy cleaning products at Jumbo! Its so easy to buy everything at one place.

Those questioning 2000 pesos expenditure, I am a bit shocked at the question.

My "typical meal" in a given day are as follows ( to give you an idea) :-

1. Breakfast - 3 eggs, whole grain bread, natural carrot juice, oatmeal

2. Lunch - salmon, broccoli, tomato and cucumber salad

3 dinner - chicken breast, brown rice, avocados, natural pineapple juice

snacks in between - fruit salad ( bananas, apples, raspberries, blue berries etc), glass of milk, walnuts, almonds etc

I guess 2000 pesos justifies this kind of diet in my opinion.

But always great to know if cheaper option exists

where is DIA supermarket in Palermo? Can someone give street address?

How to get water delivery in Palermo? Can someone advise me company name/phone no and prices.

Thanks.

Ceviche said:
Thanks.

It seems I am not doing too badly at Jumbo then! I admit i also buy cleaning products at Jumbo! Its so easy to buy everything at one place.

Those questioning 2000 pesos expenditure, I am a bit shocked at the question.

My "typical meal" in a given day are as follows ( to give you an idea) :-

1. Breakfast - 3 eggs, whole grain bread, natural carrot juice, oatmeal

2. Lunch - salmon, broccoli, tomato and cucumber salad

3 dinner - chicken breast, brown rice, avocados, natural pineapple juice

snacks in between - fruit salad ( bananas, apples, raspberries, blue berries etc), glass of milk, walnuts, almonds etc

I guess 2000 pesos justifies this kind of diet in my opinion.

But always great to know if cheaper option exists

You don't need to justify how much you spend if you're happy with what you're spending.

But some of the items on your list will run up your tab. You could go a lot cheaper of course if you would buy from street corner "-eria" type stores. I used to buy meat from one but then I saw live worms running around and thought I don't need the extra nutrition and started buying at supermarkets.

I know I know, they could have just as many worms before they wash them off or whatever but as long as I don't see them, I am at peace.

PS: Not saying worms at these places is the norm, I just had a bad experience, that's all. So don't go generalizing!

The verdularias near my house are sometimes more expensive than the vastly better selection available at the Coto a block a way. The only things I really buy from the specialty shops are Meat and Quesos & Fiambres and thats for quality reasosns as much as price.

$2000 also sounds about right to me if not low, for someone eating healthily.

If you're eating a lot of things like fish and grains/pulses, you might want to check out barrio chino. The quality is a lot better than a supermarket in those areas and it should be cheaper...

irina said:
Me and my novio almost exclusively buy meat and fruits/veggies at the Ferias barriales. They are markets put on by the city gov meant to help us fight inflation and the prices are really great for meats (MUCH cheaper than Wal Mart where we do the rest of our shopping)
For example last time we went we paid 28 pesos per kilo of chicken breast and it was at around 50 at wal mart the same week.

I also find the quality to be much better because it's basically a farmer's market cutting out the middle man of the supermarket.

Explanation:
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ercados/ferias_intinerantes.php?menu_id=23759

To find out where one is near you:
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...o/ferias_mercados/ubicacion.php?menu_id=23759

I agree, these markets are a godsend. Cheap meat, fish and veg, all farm sourced. Two I know of are Plaza Armenia on Saturday and Plaza Mafalda Wednesday (both 9am-1pm).

Wow, I did some poking around and here is a price list for the ferias barriales, which seems to be updated every two weeks.

Definitely seems much more reasonable for fruit and veggies that what I've been paying at my local chino and verduleria - I'm a vegetarian so I can't say how well the prices for meat/ fish/ dairy compare to the shops but the prices are all listed.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking this out this week if the rain lets up!

Back