Where To Buy Roasted Coffee Beans-Economical Option

Montauk_Project

Registered
I know that good coffee is expensive, but if there are any recomendations for roasted coffee beans that are on the lower side of the price scale, I would be much obliged.
I used to buy 5 kilo bags of expreso beans from Vital, but they are no longer carrying them. I have a coffee grinder.
So you can see, I want something better than the ground coffee they sell at the supermarket but it doesn´t have to be wow.
I´m in the San Telmo area if that matters.
Is starbucks ok price/quality wise? I never buy hot coffee from them.

Hi Montauk, in the market for the same. Starbucks coffee beans if you ask me are good -- I'm not a fan of the coffee that they sell to go -- but that's really more because of the milk, and I think I'm not a huge fan of the house blend. We usually buy one of the darker mediums -- Kenya or Sumatra, or else do a blend of a couple of different ones (ie this week they had both Colombian and French on sale so bought those and mixed the beans). Unfortunately I can't remember the exact price these days -- last time I went I had my kid with me and ended up buying a tonne of snacks, so subtracting approx price of those I think the 1/4 kg bag is about 65-70 pesos now? It used to be more like 50 :( Of course, they may have gone up again. I continue to buy there out of convenience, if I have a time on a trip into town ie circa Pueyrredon I may try one of the other places I've seen people recommend.

My mother-in-law buys Bonafide, we used to long ago, but I would always do a blend between a couple of different beans -- I didn't like any of their roasts just on its own.

starbucks is OK quality (at least the Fair Trade French Roast is strong- and easy on the conscience) but it's actually 2x the price of the whole beans I've found in COTO. I randomly find large bulk bags of beans in the supermarket that are sometimes not there. I tried Full City Coffee Colombian beans from Palermo that were half the price but definitely not as good. :( There's gotta be some great cafe in San Telmo that sells beans!

Have you been to La Peruana, right in San Telmo? I've been getting my coffee there for years. They sell a variety of roasted beans, including 2 varieties suitable for espresso. You can buy the beans whole, or they'll grind it for you.

I buy the super for espresso. I bought a kilo a month ago for $132. The mezcla is good, too, and a little lower in price.

La Peruana is in Chacabuco, between Carlos Calvo and Estados Unidos, close to Estados Unidos. Look carefully when you go there. Sometimes they look closed but there's a sign to ring the bell, which is just in the next doorway to the right, on the wall.

@amigoartistico thanks for the recomendation, I actually bought from them 7 years ago but I bought a light mix and didn´t like it, so I will try there espresso blend. The price is right. I will also keep in mind that coto sells it.
I also remember when sitting in a cafe and ordering a cortado was cheap!

It's a bit of a schlep for you, but there's a mom-and-pop whole bean coffee roasting store right as you exit the Cabildo/Sta Fe viaducto. You can buy beans there in bulk for significantly less than Starbucks/Martínez et al., but I would place the quality as somewhere between what you buy in Coto and beans from the Evil Green Seattle Virus. And I personally like the fact that its family run, but that's just me....

It's at Cabildo 100, corner of Santos Dumont.

@amigoartistico thanks for the recomendation, I actually bought from them 7 years ago but I bought a light mix and didn´t like it, so I will try there espresso blend. The price is right. I will also keep in mind that coto sells it.
I also remember when sitting in a cafe and ordering a cortado was cheap!

They sell about 10 varieties of beans, but only 2 are suitable for espresso, so if you're using them for espresso, make sure you ask them for the right beans. They may not think to volunteer that information. Also, they'll grind it for you, which for me is convenient, since the grind is correct and consistent, and you can buy it a quarter or half kilo at a time so it stays fresh. I haven't used my grinder in a couple years.

there's a beautiful old style store that sells a wide variety of coffee beans right in the corner of Cabildo and Santos Dumont. They can grind and toast them to taste

You can also find good [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]coffee[/background] beans at [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Full[/background] [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]City[/background] [background=rgb(255, 255, 204)]Coffee[/background] at Thames 1535 in Palermo Soho. I realize it's not near San Telmo, but they give discounts for larger purchases and the beans are really good. I use it for espresso, but it's more of a medium roast.

Back