Where to buy souvenirs?

Cheng

Registered
Hi, I'm looking for a place to buy some souvenirs that is open during the week. Preferably, not a tourist trap. I remember some time ago reading that there is a souvenir section in Congreso but I don't know where that is. Thanks for all your help, again.:)

Souvenirs, but not in a tourist trap? I'm thinking you need to be a bit more specific about what you're looking for. In my mind 'souvenir' is more commonly associated with something like the name of the place you're remembering stamped across its face (t-shirt, mug, post card, magnet, etc.). Some people like to buy something that will remind them of the place without such touristy trappings (like a nice scarf made from patagonian wool, handmade shoes, jewelry, etc.).

That said, a couple of good places to buy mementos and trinkets are the San Telmo street fair on Sundays, or the feria de Mataderos also on Sunday. Plaza Serrano has lots of crafty booths and sells art on the weekends, and the recoleta feria outside of the cemetary also has some nice wares. All of the aforementioned can be considered "tourist traps", but that doesn't mean they don't carry nice or authentic items. They are also not souvenir stores.

Actually I do want real souvenirs like the key chains and coin purses. We were at the San Telmo fair today but just realized we might need more. So, we're wondering where to pick up some like mid week. The tourist trap statement was just so we don't pay overly inflated prices. Thanks!

I think stuff like that you *have* to go to a tourist trap, who else is buying it but vacationing tourists? Midweek you're a little stuck, but I'd suggest La Boca during the afternoon, or even calle Florida.

Calle Florida has a lot of stores where you can buy souvenirs, but some of the stores will be more expensive than others so you may have to shop around a bit.

Don't go to La Boca, you may get mugged....There are lots of places down Lavalle from the intersection with Carlos Pellegrini...

While I agree that you should not just wander around La Boca, Caminito happens to be very safe. I actually work there and nothing has ever happened due to the amount of police presence (Perfectura, to be exact).
Cheng if you do decide to go to Caminito stop by our shop. Its located right in front of the main corner. The exact address is Magallanes 802. We sell mostly sports related items but also carry t-shirts, keychains, etc. Its the first shop on you right as you as you walk in.
Oh and one last thing, everything dies at 6pm so definitely go before that time.

renania58 said:
Oh and one last thing, everything dies at 6pm so definitely go before that time.

Interesting choice of words considering you are talking about La Boca's safety. ;)

renania58 said:
While I agree that you should not just wander around La Boca, Caminito happens to be very safe. I actually work there and nothing has ever happened due to the amount of police presence (Perfectura, to be exact).
Cheng if you do decide to go to Caminito stop by our shop. Its located right in front of the main corner. The exact address is Magallanes 802. We sell mostly sports related items but also carry t-shirts, keychains, etc. Its the first shop on you right as you as you walk in.

La Boca, while certainly not the safest neighborhood, is perfectly safe if you go during the daylight hours, don't flash around cameras or money or ostentatious gear, and don't wander around outside el camanito. I had an internship down there for three months in a defensoria, and really if you keep your eyes open, stay "in the tourist zone" and your head on you'll be fine. It's also got tons of tourist "stuff", all week long. Several busses drop off and pick up right where you need to be (off the top of my head the 29 and 151 both do).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Newcomers Forum 2
H Newcomers Forum 2
Back