Where to get Mexican foods & masa?

CoachGayle

Registered
Anyone know where I can find the authentic "masa harina" for making tortillas? Or is there a good substititute? I live far from GBA and will stock up when I visit. Cornmeal here is great for polenta, but not tortillas. (The authentic masa is treated with lime.)

Flour tortillas are a snap to make, and I see that the Mexican bread company, Bimbo, sells nice ones, even here, but they don't label them "tortillas" but something starting with "r" and alas I cannot remember.

So where are the best places to get good Mexican ingredients or foods to use at home? Good salsas? Tomatillos? Mole? I'm lucky if I can find jalapenos. . have tried growing. . . not always successful.

Mexican food fans, come to my rescue!

CoachGayle said:
Flour tortillas are a snap to make, and I see that the Mexican bread company, Bimbo, sells nice ones, even here, but they don't label them "tortillas" but something starting with "r" and alas I cannot remember.

I think you may referring to "rapidas" though I find them a poor substitute for "real" flour tortillas (with preservatives) which actually are available at some Carrefour Express stores (on occasion).

I think CBC might be using rapidas for their burritos, but I am not certain.

CoachGayle said:
Ah, thanks, still finding my way around the site, mini!

There's a lot of Mexican food resources on here. Have fun!! :-D
Warning: Don't read while you're hungry. ;o)

That's good info about the masa. I know a Mexican chef here who brings it. If I run into him I'll refer him to those resources...

Back