Where To I Go See A Good Tango Show

Spfly731

Registered
My brother and sister in law are here for a week, where should i take them to see a great tango show?

I always suggest that people don't see a show at all, but rather go to any of the hundreds of milongas and see how the dance was danced by the masses and still is!most of the milongas also offer cheap group classes before the milonga starts so your friends could even have a go of learning tango! You can stay as long as you like, the music is always good and sometimes live, and the food and drinks cheap. Some start mid afternoon others late at night. And the entradas literally cost about 10% of the price of tickets for a show.
On weekends at the fair in Recoleta and (I suppose in San Telmo also) there are professionals who perform live outdoors and sometimes even give some history of the dance. Again for free! My sons friends from Atlanta came to my milonga in April and took the class before it. They ended up joining the Porteños for a couple of tandas after the class! It's a lt of fun! Good luck with planning your visit!

I agree with lacoqueta !
Tango shows are way overpriced, while milongas are cheap and offer the 'real thing'.
Tango as a social dance is improvised, nothing to do with the tango escenario that they showcase for tourists.
I can recommend one place that has a dinner show (Friday and Saturday if I remember well), followed by a milonga, so that your family can see both type of dancing: La Confiteria Ideal.
Enjoy !

Lacoqueta is right. Look for a list of milongas on Google and perhaps you're lucky with a life musical performance somewhere when your friends will be in BA. It's usually spectacular.

My guests really enjoyed Sabor A Tango. It's in an antique theatre and it's not as pricey as some of the shows. Lets face it, sometimes people want to see tango escenario, jumps and tricks, as well as trad salon tango. I think it's worth seeing a show if yo've never been.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input...I will let you know what we end up doing once we decide.

a good place that has less tourists is "la esquina de homero manzi" in Boedo neighborhood. While the show is for tourists, is one of the few places where you see locals. The restaurant can be visited at any hour of the day and if you do not want to see the show at night, you can have lunch or a cafe at one of the most iconic original Tango paces is Buenos Aires. The place has been kept really nicely and you can see through pictures on the walls the history of the place. Homero Manzi is the name of one of the most respected Tango producers long gone.

i always take folks there to get away from the Tango most touristy places but yet to show them a show and good food. Oh also it is much cheaper than the other places

just in case
http://www.esquinahomeromanzi.com.ar

I've seen the cena/shows at La Ventana and Senor Tango and they were both good professional shows, on the order of a Las Vegas extravaganza or a Broadway musical. Great dancing, singing, the whole works. Both include a gaucho spinning bolos and a blonde singing "Don't Cry For Me", neither of which is tango, but what the heck. They're good fun. The Senor Tango is bigger and flashier, featuring a rotating stage and for one number, and I'm not making this up, two horses. And they had blonde twins singing "Don't Cry For Me," or did they sing "Don't Cry for Us?" I can't remember, but it was great and my visiting relatives loved it. So did I. Then we took them to the Milonga in Palermo at the Centro Cultural Armenia, a real local milonga with free lessons for two hours before midnight and then the dancing. All ages having a great time. My relatives loved both, the show and the milonga. The possibilities are endless. In San Telmo there's a milonga on every block. Have a great time!

Back