Where To Live In Ba

Thank you for all the replies! The apartment is on Salta between estados unidos & Carlos Calvo. Is that a good neighbourhood? I have not seen it more than the pictures online and it is up for rent via airbnb. I am coming down on the 26th of June so I know I am a bit early looking for apartments but I am not so keen on staying in a dorm desperately searching for a place to stay upon arrival.... And I have a limited budget so it seems to be a bit diffcult to find apartments when you have that, I reckon all the cheap good places go first, no?
It's not a block that I would recommend( by the way that would be considered Constitution not Sant Telmo). I live in San Telmo, and have many friends that also do, and based on your school would recommend it for you, but look for something in San Telmo proper, and you will be much happier.

May I be so presumptuous as to recommend that you don't overestimate your ability to avoid getting ripped off, robbed, cheated, taken for a ride, mugged, etc just because you are 25 and have traveled a lot and "are not a newbie." Everyone who comes to Buenos Aires for the first time is a newbie.

This city has a tremendous amount to offer. It's a gorgeous city with a rich culture and wonderful, endearing people. You'll love it. It is also a city of thieves and will bite you really fast if you underestimate it. That's advice from some someone who has lived here for 7 years, lived and worked in almost every Western European city, and has had a full military career spent in very hostile places.

Like for instance I just found out who you are and your entire history by Googling your profile photo.

I'm just saying ...

Hey Liz, what will you be studing in UCA? Ive done their PEL in 2010 (Programa de Estudios Latinoamericanos) which is only for foreigners, some classes are good others not, PM me if you want some more info. Also, I took one course with argentinian students and it was very hard to make friends!! Lucky for me I already had argentinian friends, but I saw MANY international students in UCA really frustrated with not being able to make argentinian friends even though they were taking courses with argentinian students...

Like for instance I just found out who you are and your entire history by Googling your profile photo.
I haven't used Google in a while because I happily switched to DuckDuckGo.

However, because of your reminder of this new image searching feature I have just found out everything about Borracho Britanico :cool:

Hey Liz, what will you be studing in UCA? Ive done their PEL in 2010 (Programa de Estudios Latinoamericanos) which is only for foreigners, some classes are good others not, PM me if you want some more info. Also, I took one course with argentinian students and it was very hard to make friends!! Lucky for me I already had argentinian friends, but I saw MANY international students in UCA really frustrated with not being able to make argentinian friends even though they were taking courses with argentinian students...
Why was it so hard for you to make friends there? Is it the language barrier or were people just uninterested? I am too old to have studied in Buenos Aires, but I have never had any problem making friends (including real friends, not ''friends'' in the American interpretation) in whatever place in the country. Here in Spain it's much more of a challenge.

GS_dirtboy: yeah I know, you always have to be aware of whats going on and not to overestimate any abilities, that kind of rule nr1 if you are traveling and especially if you have been around a lot :) However basic common sense get's you a long way so to minimize the risks I reckon I am better prepared for than a lot of my friends anyway. Seen so many people do stupid things over the years.. jisses!

Enriqueta: Oh so nice, I will pm you shortly, So nice to get some inside info! :)

It's not a block that I would recommend( by the way that would be considered Constitution not Sant Telmo). I live in San Telmo, and have many friends that also do, and based on your school would recommend it for you, but look for something in San Telmo proper, and you will be much happier.

I second strongly that comment (and it's indeed Constitucion...). Avoid at all costs going there, sincerely. Impossible to come back walking at night time for instance (even some cab drivers will be reluctant to go there at 11pm/1am if you go out).

Alright, Greg2231 & Frenchie; that sounds pretty crappy, then I should perhaps keep looking....Thank you for the info! :)

I second strongly that comment. Avoid at all costs going there, sincerely. Impossible to come back walking at night time for instance (even some cab drivers will be reluctant to go there at 11pm/1am if you go out).
Aren't you exaggerating this a bit right now? I don't think anyone of her age should want to live there because there are way more lively barrios. But regarding safety, there are many places in BA that feel less safe at night than that area (as long as you don't walk towards Plaza Constitución because the streets surrounding that square ARE dangerous at night, even if you don't carry anything of value.) I lived in Estados Unidos at the Constitución side and never felt unsafe there. Of course, things are rapidly changing in a negative sense in BA, but I don't see why taxi drivers would avoid that place.

Aren't you exaggerating this a bit right now? I don't think anyone of her age should want to live there because there are way more lively barrios. But regarding safety, there are many places in BA that feel less safe at night than that area (as long as you don't walk towards Plaza Constitución because the streets surrounding that square ARE dangerous at night, even if you don't carry anything of value.) I lived in Estados Unidos at the Constitución side and never felt unsafe there. Of course, things are rapidly changing in a negative sense in BA, but I don't see why taxi drivers would avoid that place.

Yogur, it's time someone tells you, you are not a Swedish girl in your 20s! :p

Edit: I've not lived there indeed but well, having the choice, better avoid it ("at all cost" could be relative).

Back