Where to stay in Miami? Miami Beach, Brickell, downtown or???

Just returned from Brickell ( among other places). Brickell was alive with trendy (way overpriced) restaurants and lots of people but the crowd was mostly rapper types with flashy cars and gold jewelry.

Considering I live in brickell... you couldn't be more wrong!

The Ball Harbour Mall is the area where to stay, The Seaview hotel at Collins Avenue,Bal Harbour, under US$200 is accross the avenue from the Mall. Best restos Makoto and Carpaccio at the Mall. Not cheap but worth seeing.!

Last edited:
Bling in South Beach is at the big hotels, South of 5th, and a bit on Lincoln Road nowadays. Most of the rest is just great walkable smaller pre-war neighborhoods. Very beautiful, very nice place to ride a bike, very rich in amenities.

Brickell is more workaday for sure, it has a lot of higher end bars (on rooftops) with happy hours, but it's definitely not hip. If you know SF, think the Soma.

The hipster neighborhoods are Wynwood and Design District.

Are Wynwood and Design District nice or more on the raw side?

Brickell has a little bit of everything. It also has a good social/bar scene. Around Mary Brickell Village there are a lot of bars that come alive a night. Blue Martini, Sugar, Candela to name a few

Are Wynwood and Design District nice or more on the raw side?

In between. Picture both as the graffiti areas that have things to do. Design District is a daytime area though and have all the luxury stores and wynwood has the best nightlife in Miami with about 30 different bars and clubs for all types

Considering I live in brickell... you couldn't be more wrong!

Last week we stayed at the JW Marriott in Brickell and looked at condos in the area. It was full of rapper and nba entourage wannabees. Out hotel, the streets, the restaurants.

Last edited:
Brickell does have some variety but it's more yuppie than anything else.

Again, I'll say that - especially if you're not driving - the only three places worth being are Flamingo/Lummus on Miami Beach, that area of Edgewater around 27th and Biscayne, and north Brickell.

No offense, Rich, but living across the street from Bal Harbour isn't great (although I guess there's good Jewish/Russian food up that way).

Back