Which Buenos Aires Building First On Your List To Go?

No reason to knock down that mosque, but it's definitely one of the most random things of the many strange sights this city has to offer.

I like the library as well. And I went to a tango musicians final recital/graduation ceremony in the performance hall/auditorium.

I include it in my "Architecture Taken From The Original Star Wars Series" buildings:

1) National Library = Two-Legged Desert Killing Machines ("Empire Strikes Back")*

2) Planetarium = Darth Vader's Mask (All three films)... though it also is similar to the "Legion of Doom"'s headquarters in "The Superfriends" cartoon.

3) La Mezquita de Palermo = a moder day Sultanhamet (Blue Mosque)/Hagia Sofia + R2D2 in the back of the X-Wing Fighter when he blows up the Death Star ("Star Wars" the original)

4) Banco Hipotecario (corner of Reconquista & Mitre) = Docking Bay of the Deathstar ("Star Wars" & maybe "Return of the Jedi")**

*This view is best from Av. Libertador
**This view is best from Reconquista about 30 meters from Mitre between Mitre & Peron.

This is the closet view that I could find to what I'm talking about for " ** ":

DSC08350.JPG

All four of those deserve the fate you suggest. I was wondering whether anybody but me would bring up the Banco Hipotecario (originally the Banco de Londres, for what that's worth).

I like the library alot, one of my favourite buildings in BA.Those other buildings I`ve seen a few times look like a complete disaster, it looks like a villa and they couldnt afford to plaster the bricks.

This is a great opportunity to post my favourite building again.

biblioteca-nacional-de-la-republica-argentina.jpg

Or how about this:

1067x800_DSC02661.jpg

I like that crazy building that is the public waterworks, can't remember what it's called. It kind of has an orangish tint to it with all these little pyramids all over it. If I could blow something up, it would be any, and I mean any, of the monoblocks. Man, they really made some of those things as ugly as they could. I have one that sort of looks like that down the street in Caballito, and it is really an eyesore in that part of the neighborhood.

Speaking of Water companies buildings, the nice (designed by two guys from Sweden & Norway!)
aguas.jpg

But don't take the elevator... One of them crashed a few years ago...
This is not a very intellectual anecdote, but the only time I went there, I was just desperately looking for the nearest available bathroom, and I do remember that the elevator took an awfully long time to take me to my destination.

I would like to take a look at some of their book collections, though. It's on my to-do list when I return.

Back