Who cooks at home now, more?

i enjoy walking the streets and shop fresh produce (i am a perscetarian) every day when walking my poochies, i also have a great once-a-week market here in las heras i go and buy fish ( abadejo 45.- kg!!) and cheese (sardo 27.- kg), cereal mix very cheap etcetc.
i cook every now and then, freeze it and microwave when hungry. salad every day is my pleasure and after living in the caribbean where simple everything is imported and very expensive, but mostly poor quality, THIS is food heaven for me and cheap too!
i love cooking and exploring, just made pickles ... they are absolute great, the kg of small cucumbers was 10peso!!! right now i enjoy tons of zucchini, 2kg for 5 peso!!! so much to do with zucchini, even zucchini cake ( like a carrot cake, same thing) very healthy ! after the asparagus extasy i had ... :)
i buy around the corner off the back of a truck 30 eggs for 18 peso ( no artif. or pest. or anything) from a guy directly from his farm, make a large veggy-omelet tart and eat every day a bit!
altho i have a small kitchen, i cook for myself and for my dogs too! chicken/fish with rice/pasta and i bake treats for them, as then i know whats in it and they prefer it too! i enjoy that.
eating out has been mostly a disappointment, i dont like the amount of salt that is used and the low quality oils and vinegars served. there are some really good places, but rare!
apart from everything getting more expensive, i stopped eating out after a few months i was here, out of disappointment and also sometimes bad stomach after it...
i was here in 2008 with a international group of eaters, we went every nite to a different place, in 5 weeks we had maybe 5 real good meals, that are the meals where you say you WANT to go back.
i dont consider a meal in a restaurant good, if i could have made it or better plus i need to have the "surprise" effect .. otherwise not worth a second try!
best experiences where the "puerto cerrado" restos....

fred mertz mentioned a 15% discount at disco... how do you get them.. I don't have a credit card account here in Buenos aires so I've not enjoyed any of the benefits of the discounts.. Occasionally Coto will have a 15% for all debit cards including my Chase from the states. The 15% coupon from Disco would be great since i'm moving to Bosque Palermo in two weeks and Disco y Jumbo are the only stores near by.

zork said:
if you are tight on food money there are groupons, daily specials, menu ejecutivo, half off days and the like, I love to eat out and I do so almost daily even if it means cutting down on other things, cooking at home is not crazy cheap either, my chino's vegetable guy is such a rip off I feel they should start taking credit cards.

Don't buy veggies from the Chinos! They're always crazy expensive. Walk a few blocks to the nearest verduleria and save a bundle.

On theme... I cook at home almost always except for very special occasions. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it and way more economical (and healthy, and delicious, and rewarding...) than eating out.

Disco do all kinds of discount 'checks' which we use to the full.
Sometimes even 15% off wine.
I used to rely on my wife to do all the cooking, but things have changed. She is the main bread winner and works longer hours than me, so it makes sense for me to prepare the food for the three of us as she is generally too knackered anyway.
Also I like the way I can experiment with cooking, but sometimes get a bit carried away Kieth Floyd style, bless him!

Ahh, Keith Floyd... I recently watched the rugby episode when he falls over. Glorious stuff.

I've just moved from Barracas to Caballito and the jump in fruit and veg prices is alarming. Although the ubiquity of Fabrica De Pizza places should balance things out, Gawd bless 'em. I don't know how they do it, I really don't.

And I'm too afraid to ask.

Just a quick slurp, as Kieth used to say as he slapped another steak on the barbeeq.

I almost always cook at home or order Chinese from my hole in the wall Chinese in San Cristó . I shop at Coto or Vea .Vea has a Discount thing going that they give you 15 % on your next shopping to spend on a certain day so it is useful if you make that day asado day as their meat is very fresh. Other than that I buy cheese from a local Cordoba expat also salamin casero and spend less on artesanal cheese that way. I rarely have to eat out if you do not count the ocasional Bondiola on the Costanera after sailing.

What are some of your favorite spots to eat? I'm trying to find some new places to try.

Jumbo has 100% off almost every weekend, On Saturday I got $2100 woth of Jumbo checks! But for dates I am out of town :(

Back