Who has left or is planning to leave?

In a world Changing at warp speed it is not wise to resist the change, refuse to re-evaluate and bury head in sand. The overwhelming majority are not packing YET but preparing Plan B. We all wish to hear love songs, but

I'm excluding all of Europe form my plan. (You can refuse to hear or see the opening salvos of WWIII ,,, good for you ,,,, your own risk).
I think it's safe to say that most of the world is going into tailspin. Moving every time the going gets tough isn't feasible for a vast majority of humans. Life will likely get a lot more inconvenient no matter where you choose to live. Unless you're on the run the rest of your life (a decent choice for some, admittedly), you'll finally settle-in someplace, take root and get along.

I've been here since 2012, through good and bad. Worse is always possible...but really, unless I can no longer afford housing and food, I can't think of another place I'd enjoy, where I'd be able to immigrate the way I did here. Not being able to buy a steak is one thing, an inconvenience at best. I can live through cutting costs (again, still plenty of free culture to be had and friendships to enjoy).

Hearing love songs isn't a wish, it's a necessity for some of us...even when times aren't ideal. I'd say it's necessary no matter where you wind up, each location has drawbacks sooner or later. Always anticipating Armageddonn isn't something I'm going to do. I know preparing lends a certain amount of solace, but you can only get a few steps ahead of something so devastating as WWIII or rampant political upheaval, global collapse, environmental devastation. I choose to live in the here and now and don't carry a plan B-Z in my pocket. If the world crushes me, well...I'm a rather optimistic nihilist and that's on the agenda for us all at some point, I've lived well-fully and kindly. I'll go down in my adopted country.

If you're the nomad type, I guess it's different. Many I know enjoy community and having a place to get attached to. Sometimes that means suffering the in-between moments. If you don't actually like Argentina and it was a place to come enjoy the favorable exchange rate and live like a king...that's another topic entirely and I understand the second thoughts. Uprooting would be inevitable then, as you never truly longed for the place and will remain on the search for the best value for your currency.

Many seem to want to see people flee, not meet the muster of their words. Yet, we odd ducks will likely stay put-even with such drab writing on the wall, because that writing is everyplace...worldwide. Unless you're the elite few...you'll be swept up in it at some juncture...so here's to the beautiful moments you can parse while the breath remains steady.

Too long, didn't read: I know how much positivity irks people but living in the ever-pummeling abyss of the negativity that's swirling around us (24/7 these days) won't actually do much to assure a better life. I don't even need to bury my head in the sand, I can allow the reality to sink in and still make a valid and personal choice to remain in Buenos Aires. Those old threads are proof-that while some fled...many of us are still here to vent about the cost of supermarket items, tell tales of free concerts around the city and ask strangers for their humble opinions. So, some of these certain truths of coming doom were good for drumming up fear and loathing but did little to sway those here because they feel like it's 'home.'

If nobody remains to resist change, how can positive change be implemented? If everyone flees when the going gets weird, who turns pro?

Some expats have fond memories of what things cost back home, perhaps not aware that prices have been going up almost everywhere. "OMG, restaurants in Baires are the same prices as back home" - not realizing prices back home have risen by 20% or more in the last three years. These expats might pack up their bags and find out that the holy grail of the cheap restaurant doesn't exist anywhere anymore.

In the US, home insurance, car insurance are shooting up faster than the inflation rate. Imagine taking a taxi for 15 blocks and paying $2 - no - it will be closer to $20. Few in the US can afford these prices, so they are loading up on credit card debt just as credit card interests rates are hitting records... I think anyone who has lived recently overseas can attest to the steep rise in prices.

Those cheap prices you have such fond memories of during your visit to home three years ago, don't exist anymore....

I think it's safe to say that most of the world is going into tailspin. Moving every time the going gets tough isn't feasible for a vast majority of humans. Life will likely get a lot more inconvenient no matter where you choose to live. Unless you're on the run the rest of your life (a decent choice for some, admittedly), you'll finally settle-in someplace, take root and get along.

I've been here since 2012, through good and bad. Worse is always possible...but really, unless I can no longer afford housing and food, I can't think of another place I'd enjoy, where I'd be able to immigrate the way I did here. Not being able to buy a steak is one thing, an inconvenience at best. I can live through cutting costs (again, still plenty of free culture to be had and friendships to enjoy).

Hearing love songs isn't a wish, it's a necessity for some of us...even when times aren't ideal. I'd say it's necessary no matter where you wind up, each location has drawbacks sooner or later. Always anticipating Armageddonn isn't something I'm going to do. I know preparing lends a certain amount of solace, but you can only get a few steps ahead of something so devastating as WWIII or rampant political upheaval, global collapse, environmental devastation. I choose to live in the here and now and don't carry a plan B-Z in my pocket. If the world crushes me, well...I'm a rather optimistic nihilist and that's on the agenda for us all at some point, I've lived well-fully and kindly. I'll go down in my adopted country.

If you're the nomad type, I guess it's different. Many I know enjoy community and having a place to get attached to. Sometimes that means suffering the in-between moments. If you don't actually like Argentina and it was a place to come enjoy the favorable exchange rate and live like a king...that's another topic entirely and I understand the second thoughts. Uprooting would be inevitable then, as you never truly longed for the place and will remain on the search for the best value for your currency.

Many seem to want to see people flee, not meet the muster of their words. Yet, we odd ducks will likely stay put-even with such drab writing on the wall, because that writing is everyplace...worldwide. Unless you're the elite few...you'll be swept up in it at some juncture...so here's to the beautiful moments you can parse while the breath remains steady.

Too long, didn't read: I know how much positivity irks people but living in the ever-pummeling abyss of the negativity that's swirling around us (24/7 these days) won't actually do much to assure a better life. I don't even need to bury my head in the sand, I can allow the reality to sink in and still make a valid and personal choice to remain in Buenos Aires. Those old threads are proof-that while some fled...many of us are still here to vent about the cost of supermarket items, tell tales of free concerts around the city and ask strangers for their humble opinions. So, some of these certain truths of coming doom were good for drumming up fear and loathing but did little to sway those here because they feel like it's 'home.'

If nobody remains to resist change, how can positive change be implemented? If everyone flees when the going gets weird, who turns pro?
Your poetry is hypnotizing. Admire your tenacity and strength. Your powerful reasoning is shaking every one to the core.
I left home long long ago. It's never home after you leave home. My grandfather born lived and died in the same town 2 after he retired from the same one job he ever had all his life.
It is terrifying for an elderly to be thinking about how to pickup and go after investing several years in each new home. And it's not the COL that forces people to leave.
Our generation we don't have home.

Last edited:
Your poetry is hypnotizing. Admire your tenacity and strength. Your powerful reasoning is shaking every one to the core.
I left home long long ago. It's never home after you leave home. My grandfather lived and died in the same town 2 after he retired from the same one job he ever had all his life.
It is terrifying for an elderly to pickup and go after investing several years. And it's not the COL that forces people to leave.
I understand the reasons behind leaving, the reasons behind staying. Some of my Argentine friends have left for Spain and Italy, for better futures but when they visit they tell me their lives there aren't quite what they expected, they miss Argentina but also not enough to return just yet. It's really a very personal and likely not so easy decision everyone who has relocated has faced at one point or the next.

I'm middle-aged (a riot to say that outright, I still feel I'm 28 ). I've lived in a few scattered places and through a certain amount of trauma. Maybe that informs my stubborn streak. This level of bone-headedness is not for everyone and I'm not noble for holding on to this city as tight as I do. But, though Buenos Aires isn't my home...my home doesn't feel quite like home anymore either. So, I'm out here in the aether grasping at fireflies that glow then fade into the night air. I just wish everyone, at some point in their life, gets to feel the sort of 'settled' that was hard-fought-and finally found (here) for me.

My father, is an elderly and certainly would never pick up and leave his family home. He never really strayed ten miles from it, his whole life. He's awestruck I set out on my own so young and I think...a little proud? I may never know. When I visit we just visit greasy spoon diners and watch reruns of Mystery Science Theater while I try to tidy up his house and force him to use the latest gadgets (like the cordless vacuum) to make his independent life a little easier.

If there was ever an anybody who said things better than George Carlin...I never knew em'. However...I'm a fan of basic and continuing education. Ever-learning. And, thankfully, I don't feel all education systems work in lock-step with greed-backed, blood-lusty heads of State. Not sure how long it'll last. The 'American Dream' has been dead as long as I've been alive.

Last edited:
BsAs is the abbreviation for Buenos Aires Province

thank you Ruta

Yes I understood after he mentioned it was in his name.
I asked because Im thinking of buying there. My wife grew up in one of the Provinces. We go there to buy some of our food, big savings. For $60.00 we have enough package goods and cheese for two months. FEI. (for everyones information) Buy a crate of fresh chickens as well.

As I said on an earlier post on this thread, the grass may look greener on the other lawn but it isn't.

Back