Who Is An "american?"

I try to be careful about that because I know it is offensive to some people. But Argentinians ask if I am American so I know some use that term. There really is no word for us, as has been pointed out. If I say North American they don't know if I am from Canada. 'Course now I can just say I'm Argentine! :D

I know very very few Argentines who really identify themselves as Latin Americans. They seldom ever feel any solidarity with the poorer countries of the Americas. It is invariably the more European looking better educated Portenos who pull this stunt about the name American. It is just to be difficult. They know very well that the world calls US citizens Americans. If you are a US citizen you are not Canadian or Mexican so North American is not a correct nomenclature. Don't stand fo this nonsense. You shouldn't be intimidated into falling for their phony little trick to ague for the fun of aguing.

I know very very few Argentines who really identify themselves as Latin Americans. They seldom ever feel any solidarity with the poorer countries of the Americas. It is invariably the more European looking better educated Portenos who pull this stunt about the name American. It is just to be difficult. They know very well that the world calls US citizens Americans. If you are a US citizen you are not Canadian or Mexican so North American is not a correct nomenclature. Don't stand fo this nonsense. You shouldn't be intimidated into falling for their phony little trick to ague for the fun of aguing.

It doesn't particularly bother me, personally, and I find arguments within my wife's family more contentious.

I know very very few Argentines who really identify themselves as Latin Americans. They seldom ever feel any solidarity with the poorer countries of the Americas.

This is true, but it is also slowing changing. As more bolivian, paraguayan and peruvian immigrants get assimilated into Argentinian society the country will become more "latin american". I see this happening already.

I am Canadian and would never, ever refer to myself as American! The Canadian identity-- such as it is-- is built on the fact that "we are not American."

I am Canadian and would never, ever refer to myself as American! The Canadian identity-- such as it is-- is built on the fact that "we are not American."

Canadians are indeed different, but perhaps not quite so different as they think they are - especially if Stephen Harper has anything to say about it.

Yes Lejana, but Canada has a name. The U. S. does not really have a name. United States of America. It was supposed to be sovereign states loosely united under a very small central government is the reason for that. Like someone from Florida was a Floridian, Georgia was a Georgian at one time. We were just united in case of problems. But somehow that got changed. So now if people don't like for us to say we are American, we don't really have a name. I think I'll take Sergio's advice and not concern myself about it!

Estates Unidos seems to work fine and does not offend anyone....that is always my answer and I have yet to have anyone take a swing at me!
you guys need to put this one to bed....

Back