Who Is An "american?"

Well, I don´t like Chile using the word we all use to designate chilli for the country name, so every time a Chilean says he is from Chile I will give him a hard time :D Just don´t fall for idiotic comments, simple as that. America can be used for both the continent and to name people from the United States. It is not incompatible. Anybody trying to start an argument based on that should be treated accordingly - ie a mixture of idiotic and jerk.

Also, this problem arises when the conversation is held in English. When talking about it in Spanish, you are Estadounidense. Now, why an Argentine, whose native language is Spanish, willñ argue what you call yourselves in English, now that is beyond me!

Yes Lejana, but Canada has a name. The U. S. does not really have a name. United States of America. It was supposed to be sovereign states loosely united under a very small central government is the reason for that. Like someone from Florida was a Floridian, Georgia was a Georgian at one time. We were just united in case of problems. But somehow that got changed. So now if people don't like for us to say we are American, we don't really have a name. I think I'll take Sergio's advice and not concern myself about it!

In reality, the United States of America is an awkward name that does not translate well.

Er, ah...could you explain this time me? "typical writing style for your type". What DOES that mean?

Sure. But I will respond to both your questions. He asked if it was a compliment... Well I did say I liked the article so THAT part was a compliment.

The part about typical writing for his type I was talking about his personality type. Typical writing according to his personality type that's all. Not a compliment. Just a fact. This is of course his personality type from a very specific point of view he might or might not know.

Sure. But I will respond to both your questions. He asked if it was a compliment... Well I did say I liked the article so THAT part was a compliment.

The part about typical writing for his type I was talking about his personality type. Typical writing according to his personality type that's all. Not a compliment. Just a fact. This is of course his personality type from a very specific point of view he might or might not know.

Obviously, you are a gifted "analyst" to be able to evaluate "personality type" from reading a short article on a general topic, without ever having met the person in question.

Obviously, you are a gifted "analyst" to be able to evaluate "personality type" from reading a short article on a general topic, without ever having met the person in question.

I know your preference for "hard evidence" (despite seldom providing it). I know a lot of things about your personality based on your behavior here. It wasn't meant to be a slur. As I said I was complimenting your article.

That's what I was wondering. I didn't take the original comment as a compliment nor a slur...but was curious how a person could define a "personality type" based on a few words.

Hmmm,interesting topic, the Americanos~or from EEUU but if other Americanos inhabiting the same continental Americas can not distinguish which part of the Americas you are from..How baout' the Gringos, so diverse from their nationality origin but some are classified in general as Gringos but other foreigners are called diffrently by the nationals of the Americas in itself. Had a talk with people in Mexico,Colombia,Ecuador,Peru etc. They all said, we call the caucasians the real Gringos.!? Other foreigners are not Gringos, because of the traditional racial divisions of humankind marked by fair skin oe dark or coloured per se..So the African, Hindu, Chinese or other non-whites are not Gringos to the locals eyes. Many times over, being asked of my origin in the foreign land, always answered as, I am a "Gringo Japones" and everyone saz OK I know now !

That's what I was wondering. I didn't take the original comment as a compliment nor a slur...but was curious how a person could define a "personality type" based on a few words.

Not a few words. It's been months of reading his replies to different topics. Seeing him react to different stuff. I'm just saying that his writing was consistent with all that. I can shoot him the test if he wants it and it will prove me right.

Hmmm,interesting topic, the Americanos~or from EEUU but if other Americanos inhabiting the same continental Americas can not distinguish which part of the Americas you are from..How baout' the Gringos, so diverse from their nationality origin but some are classified in general as Gringos but other foreigners are called diffrently by the nationals of the Americas in itself. Had a talk with people in Mexico,Colombia,Ecuador,Peru etc. They all said, we call the caucasians the real Gringos.!? Other foreigners are not Gringos, because of the traditional racial divisions of humankind marked by fair skin oe dark or coloured per se..So the African, Hindu, Chinese or other non-whites are not Gringos to the locals eyes. Many times over, being asked of my origin in the foreign land, always answered as, I am a "Gringo Japones" and everyone saz OK I know now !

Historically, in Argentina, "gringo" was a term applied to Italian immigrants.

Back